Tuesday, December 5, 2006

All the leaves…

My plan for this weekend was to do as little as possible. It was supposed to be cold and nasty all weekend as an incentive from above to stay inside and watch movies and maybe bake dog cookies and do the laundry and perhaps, maybe, get the Christmas decorations out. If I got around to it. I wasn’t going to put the lights up outside because it was supposed to be raining and miserable. There were no plans for world domination on my to-do list.

I did sleep in on Saturday. It was supposed to be raining and miserable, so sleeping in was not the waste of time it would have been were it supposed to be pretty. It's hard sleeping in on a sunny day, you have to put so much effort into it, it's almost like working

It was nicer than it was forcast to be but I still slept late - I am nothing if not a hard worker. Kitty wanted me up some what earlier but I have mastered the art of Kitty feeding while half asleep. I can get up to deal with him twice before I am too awake to stay asleep. The third time he gets put in his crate, just to get even with him I’ll stay in bed for a long time just to torment him. I’m mean but I learned from the master. He has no one to blame but himself.

I know the song goes “All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray”, but in my world the song goes more like “All the leaves are gone and the sky is grey”. My tree is empty and now, thanks to Broskeys leaf blower, my yard is clean. My yard, the shrubs, my driveway, the patio. It’s all quite pretty now and leaf free. If I could aim the blower at it, it is clean. I love the blower, Santa could bring me one for Christmas, that would be nice.


The lesson I learned from leaf blowing is that it is really more like Leaf herding. You can direct them but you can only suggest the leaves go in a certain direction but you can’t really make the leafs go where you want it to. I blew the leaves to the curb but a lot of them stopped along the way to kibitz. The blower doesn’t totally do away with raking all together, but it allows you to rake less and more efficiently. I like that.

While I was allegedly doing nothing over the weekend, after the raking and leaf blowing,I put part one of my Christmas lights up – I say part one because it still looks a little bare to me and I’m sure I had more out last year. I was just too lazy to really crack open as many boxes as I needed to. The other lights are there some where; I just wasn’t feeling like working to get them. It was part of my “as little as possible” plan. I did put up my penguin. He looks great. I think my penguin is a male. He didn’t come with a name and in real life the only way to sex a penguin is through surgery. So. I am going to be sexist and go with male as a default.



I’m going to have to not forget about penguin while he’s out there. I don’t think that the wind is going to be friendly to him. I zapped him a few times on accident while I was leaf blowing and he seemed to stand up to that pretty well, but it was really short, hard gusts of wind – I don’t think it was a good way to guess how he would really do under normal high wind circumstances. I need to be mindful of him. I wonder if my new boss would be understanding if I told her I needed to go home to tend to my penguin?

No comments: