Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Grrr

Freaking @#$%^ sexist Red Cross! If there was another band of traveling vampires I would so sign up with them. !$%^&* Poor mouthing “Puh-Leeeees donate! Weeeee neeeeeeed youuuuuuu!” Assholes.

Ass covering Ass holes. “Oh, if we let you give blood today and you got sick...”. Bull shit. “We do have to spin most of the women” . Do they ever wonder why? Could it possibly be that perhaps they should study lowering the cut off? That perhaps if they are having to “spin” most of the woman who come in to donate that it may a problem with the Red Cross’ policies regarding hemocrit levels in women?

I suggested that it was sexist for the Red Cross to set the levels as they did and that perhaps they should separate the genders and have X number for the male donators and Y number for the female donators. We are not all men. What is low for men can be with in normal limits for women. It’s not fair. I’m not anemic, I’m a woman. Do you think if I told my doctor I wanted to get on the pill so I could give blood more frequently, that she would laugh at me? Would you?

“Oh, take a supplement”, Why? I’m not anemic! I’m fine. The only thing holding me back is my gender.

Anyway. Happy Thoughts.

Between my heavy dog walking and rug hefting I went to see Dreamgirls.

Noon show, first show of the day. Big old matinee. I got there early and walked around the theatre. I saw all these movie posters and I didn’t want to see any of them. And what’s worse? I didn’t even recognize most of the movies they had playing.

Maybe Meryl Streep was right, if you want to see the good movies, you need to demand to see the good movies - I don’t know where she goes to see movies but my gigaplex doesn’t work like Block Buster- you can’t just ask for a title and expect them to screen it for you . It comes down to a money thing. Teen Sex Bloodbath is going to put a lot more butts in the seats than Sherrie, Baby. The Departed has a very nice pedigree, but it won’t do Teen Sex Bloodbath business.

I saw Dreamgirls with 12 other people that brought in a grand total of $81 in ticket sales, plus whatever they got from concessions... Back in my day a small drink and a small popcorn was $3.13. Today it will run you $7.40.

I could go to the vaunted Art Houses to see the “smaller” moves, but I don’t want to pay them $9 a ticket either! and just because they sell organic, certified non-GM, free range popcorn and guaranteed cruelty free carob bars at their solar powered, union concession stand, doesn’t mean it’s worth $7 a bucket. I don’t care that Al Gore and Angelina “The White Mans Burden Really Goes With My Tats” Jolie approve of the packaging. The movie goer is going to get screwed no matter where they go to see their movies.

Netflix rawks more and more every day.

Oh, Dreamgirls is as good as they say it is, and yes, Jennifer Hudson sells the hell out of "And I tell you I’m Not Leaving” , that number alone, if that was all I saw of the movie, would have been worth my $6.75 . The audience was tiny and it still exploded at the end of the song. In a real crowd, a sell out audience - it would have been electric.

No comments: