Thursday, January 18, 2007

Let it rain

Well, the streets are passable the Wake County schools and The State are open for business. It even looks like most of the people in my office are here.

You know the worst moment to get the wild idea you could go to the store? Try about five minutes after the weather Gawds announce to the masses that it’s going to snow.

On the way home from the Dog Park, I said to Dogger “Hey, I need some Alfredo sauce, lets go to the store!”. Dogger was like “Puny human, you couldn’t tell shift in atmospheric pressure if it rained on your head. “Lets go to the store!” , You have had better ideas.”

You also should go to the store when you’re hungry. To which I say : If you aren’t just a little hungry when you go to the store you won’t buy anything you can eat. You have to be in the mood to shop. When I have tried to shop on a full stomach is when I’ve ended up bringing home stuff like dog toys or measuring cups. Stuff I need, but not stuff I can eat.

Anyway.

I don’t think it’s really going to snow. I arrived at the grocery right as the early news was finishing up. The parking lot was full, but I think they may have all been crowed into the tax preparers office or the laundry because they weren’t in the store clearing the shelves of bread and milk the way they do when something is really on it's way. During hurricane season I don’t watch the skies or the weather channel, I keep my eye on the bread isle. If the bread isle starts looking sparse; Then I worry.

As I was driving home from the grocery, I also didn’t see anyone out covering their cars or making any effort to park at the bottom of the driveway. I pulled all the way up in my drive way with confidence.

I’m feeling so safe about tomorrow morning, I’ve been watching Without a Trace reruns and I’m about to fire up the DVD player - Yeah, that’s how I roll . I don't even know what channel the Weather Channel comes on.

See, the reason I don’t want it be in “inclement” in the morning is I fear the specter of “inclimate weather time”. As a state employee, an “act of God” is no reason for me to be at my desk. It doesn’t matter that there is 20 inches of snow on the ground, if it is a work day, I am supposed to be at my desk. We all are. Period. If I am not at my desk because that 20 inches is, say. blocking my driveway - I am accruing the dreaded “Inclimate weather time”. Time that I am expected to make up one way or another. If , say I don't want to work on Saturday's , it is time will be taken out of my vacation hours.

I hate that.

IW follows you around. It dogs your every step! It doesn’t matter that you missed work because the roads weren’t passable or the power went out , you ass is supposed to be in your chair at your desk M-F, buddy and don’t you forget it . And you can’t use sick time to “pay back” the time either. All that sick time you have piled up is invulnerable to attack. Nothing is going to take that away from you. Your sad, abused little vacation hours however can be violated at any time. It’s not fair.

So. Lets think Rain.

Too late.

No comments: