Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Women say “PULL OUT NOW

I’m getting to old for this shit.

I am sore. Sunday I was all right while I was bopping around doing chores. Up and down the stairs, hefting laundry. No problem.

And then I decided that it was time to go and get my pictures taken care of and so off to Wallgreens Dogger and I went. Super. No problem so far. I was good walking into the store, everything was cool. Then I stood in front of the little machine. Ow!

I was there for not even that long and out of nowhere, Ow! I was going to hang around in the store until the pictures were ready but not anymore. If I didn’t sit down right now I was going to start crying. By the time I got out to the car I was whimpering.

Part of my plan had been to fill the car too, but for at least part of the time I would have to be standing up and that wasn’t going to happen. After sitting in the car for a while I had somewhat recovered. As long as I was moving, I was okay. I did find while standing was out of the question, I could walk.

So I walked around a designer rip off place and found something to wear to Tiny E’s baptism. How rip offy was this place? I bought shoes too and the bill was under $40, the “designers” that were ripped off? You never heard of them From what I could tell by some of the other things I saw there, the last things many of those designers designed were ... Class joint, let me tell you.. I think as long as I’m really careful my ensemble should last through the day. If I avoid direct sunlight, I may be able to wear the dress again.

Back to Saturday. The organizers of the bus trip had kindly brought along music to get us into the right frame of mind. Have you heard what passes for protest music these days? It’s really sad. I’m not the only one who notices.

One of the songs that seemed to be just a run down of everything Bush has done over the last six years. Okay. Bush is a very bad liberal. He’s a bad guy. He totally has no respect for the platform of the Democratic Party and he hates poor people, the veterans, women, children, science, the environment, teachers,students,health care workers, old people, the mentally ill, the chronically ill, the working poor, home owners, and he stomps on baby ducks. He sucks, he’s Captain Evol. Okay, make it rhyme and put it to music we can clap along to.

But.

A litany of Bush’s sins isn’t exactly, uh, you know, catchy. It’s hard to get worked up over every treaty he either hasn’t signed or ignored. A run down of his misdeeds will be read at his war crimes trial or his impeachment hearing. He sucks. Fine. But it’s hard to clap along to something with no beat and 26 stanzas.

Over earnest singer song writer chicks probably do really well at Take Back The Night rallies or Womyns symposia but damn it, hire a drummer! I don’t want to get weepy, I want to get angry! Girlfriends, rock out with your cock out! Buy a strap-on and man up. I don’t want to hear about how sad it all makes you, I want to hear your outrage. I need yours to fuel mine.

Remember Ohio?

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio
Gonna get down to it soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been down long ago
What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know.
Gonna get down to it soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been down long ago
What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know.


From Protest Songs

That is outrage set to music.

No comments: