Monday, February 5, 2007

Damn, the Colts won.

Whew. What a weekend. What with family in town and Tiny E’s baptism, lovely, by the way, and post-Baptism gatherings and The Puppy Bowl and the Super Bowl and Broskey running into that deer - Gosh. There wasn’t much time for blogging. So I didn’t.

But. I did have a question answered that had been bothering me for some time. I have read many, many stories of hit and run drivers swearing to Gawd that they had no idea that they hit and then ran over that full grown human being. It made me very scared that perhaps I have been running over people for years and not realizing it. I’ve been wanting to ask a cop but I could never find the right opening and then I was afraid they would see my question as well, questionable. Every time I saw a report of a hit and run I would sit there and think if I could have been there. I mean, even if I had not been driving in the area at the time or had even been awake at that hour... even though I am rarely out driving around at four am , when most of these things seem to happen, I worried.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t like driving at night, I was truly afraid of committing a hit and run and not knowing it. People are stupid at night and they don’t pay attention. Drivers and pedestrians. A pedestrian out playing in traffic - late, late at night is likely very, very, stupid.. A driver out late, late at night is likely stupid and have their finger on the trigger of a 1200 pound weapon. It doesn’t take much to figure out who is going to be still be stupid when the lights come up and who is going to be dead.

Well. I know now. If you hit a full grown anything, if you as much as wing a full grown anything - you can tell. There is a sizable impact. It feels like being rear ended. Hard. You may not see what SOB hit you, but know for damn sure you were hit.

We winged a deer and we could tell right off. It was a big thing and we hit it. Hard. Even if we didn’t see the deer the car bore witness. It was slammed. The impact left a big damn dent, smushed the bumper and shattered the headlights. We could tell we hit something. And a good sized human can out weigh a deer and most likely isn’t going to scamper out of the way to go die in the woods. A person is going die on the road and won’t be invisible.

We could have all been drunk off our ass’s ( which we weren’t. Post baptism, the only spirits running though us were Holy) and it would have been perfectly clear that we had just hit a something. A drunk who hits a something knows they hit a something, the drunk would be startled at the very least. For sober people, it was terrifying.

I have my answer and I know I have not been randomly playing chicken with pedestrians The next person who hits a full grown human and claims they couldn’t tell or they didn’t know . I’ll know one thing, they are lieing.

No comments: