Friday, February 9, 2007

TGIF

Finally. Longest week ever. Kind of, I mean I’ve had longer weeks, but ya know. I’m getting old. I was tired all week. Two week ends in a row I was busy and now I’m tired. I am so old. I woke up one morning and griped at myself for staying up so “late” the night before – That would be fine, but I asleep by eleven. It’s not like I was up late running around. In bed by eleven. I am so lame. And old.

I blame Eastern Standard Time. See, Central Time ends at 10pm. You can watch your 9:00pm hour long drama and be in bed five minute later. Sure, prime time starts at 7pm, but that means that the kiddies can be put to bed earlier. I think eventually the Nanny State will take over and will make it a law that children under age fill-in-the-blank must be in bed by no later than X time. They’ll quote a bunch of studies saying that children need X hours of sleep a night and how getting less sleep effects test scores and children who report earlier bed times have higher scores than those who report later bed times andthat will get everyone’s attention because the schools live and die by they federal funding and funding is tied to test scores and the schools will start little “Early to Bed Early To Rise” clubs where the kids will report in what time they hit the hay and maybe club members will get free breakfast and then they’ll decided that any child that is eligible for free breakfast has to be an ETBETR club member to maintain eligibility and eventually someone will suggest fining parents who don’t enforce bed times and on and on.

I don’t know how they would enforce this but I’m sure they would find some invasive way to monitor it. And we’ll let them, because by that time we’ll have given up and FAUX News will tell us that we all agree that personal privacy provides aid and comfort to the terrasts.

Whatever. I mean, I’m all in favor of going to bed early and I think children under the age of say, 12 should be in bed no later than 9:00pm – but mostly because I hate going out at night and having to keep an eye out for eight year olds dressed like ninjas riding their bikes in the middle of the street.

Anyway. Eastern Standard Time , bad and contributes to sleep debt and falling test grades. Central Standard Time, good as well as Gawds own time zone.

Next item.

I finally caved and bought a battery powered tooth brush. I thought it would be cooler but it’s really like getting an OTC tooth cleaning – about 85 percent of a “prescription” tooth cleaning. I thought that there would be more there “there”. Sure, it revolves and vibrates and all but…. I don’t know if it’s something I’m going to feel like I need another of when it wears out. I almost got a similar model that played “music” for two minutes. The tooth brush had kind of a faux NASCAR theme so I had my suspicions that the “music” it would play would be Proud to Be a Murrican, so I gave it a pass. If it hadn’t played music I might have gone with it, it was kewl but really, does anyone really need a black toothbrush with flame decals? I mean anyone who isn’t Danny Zuko?

No comments: