Tuesday, March 6, 2007

More Things

That sudden intake of breath you heard last week was my high school class collectively sucking in our breaths and then our guts. We got this in our in boxes:

Hey Class of '87!

Can you believe we are coming up on 20 years? I wanted to give you a heads up on dates and locations for our reunion.

Our Ice Breaker Event will be on Fri., 6/15. If anyone has ideas or suggestions for a location, I would love to hear from you.

The Family Outing Event is set for Sat. 6/16 from 11am - 1:00pm We are trying to come up with a location where there is fun for all our kids of all ages, again suggestions are appreciated.

Reunion Celebration - will be on Sat., 6/16 from 7pm - midnight at the City Club on the 69th floor of the BOA Building in downtown Dallas.

You will receive a flyer in the mail in the next few weeks with all of this info and a list of people that have not been located yet.


What no get together at a dog park? Pet bigots. I was shocked to get the notice but I mean. It's not like our twentieth should come as a surprise. I just thought they would get us more time to prepare, like letting us know about it now and then actually having it in another couple of years or something. We had a five, which seemed really soon for something like that. I mean, five years out was not nearly enough time. I mean, five years after graduation I still knew where my senior pictures were.

At the ten year reunion we felt so old and so thoroughly grown up and moved on with our lives. We were 28 years old. And then oddly skipped the 15 year, I guess at 32 we were too busy. There was no explanation for why it wasn't organized, but perhaps the class PTB decided we were turning into a truncated low rent home made Michael Apted doc and decided to pull back. Or maybe it was more prosaic than that, maybe , but it sounds more romantic than "Sorry, forgot".

And now. We are really old. I mean, old. I have classmates who could be grandparents. I have one classmate that is all ready a widower . We're 38. Well, they are 38, I am significantly younger. I was a gifted youngster, I am 25.

That doesn't mean I'm not all ready making a list of things I'm going to have done to myself before the reunion - I'm definitely going to have to dye my hair again, you know just for continuity's sake, I was a natural brunette back than. Today, I naturally use Loreal. It's not about my vanity, it's for the sake of the others, if I let my hair go white, it would make it harder for my classmates to remember if I was someone they talked to, chances are, they didn't but I would hate for them to have to look stupid while they tried to remember who I was. Of course we've all gained weight but as a side effect I have a much bigger rack than I did then, so point for me. I'll need to get my nails "done". I never did that back in the day but I think it will go a long way to keeping me from nervously gnawing on them down to the bone in the days leading up to the reunion. I wonder if I can grow a husband or ex-husband and two kids before June? I all ready have the minivan.

The email was right, we did get a flyer with our missing classmates names on it. Out of class of if I remember correctly, 378, there were only 48 names on it. It seems incredible to me that the organizers were able to track down that many of us. I was kind of surprised at some of the names that were there, I've known Collen Shannon my whole life, how can we not know where she is? and Prissy Frank? You know, I didn't even know I went to school with someone named Betty Thomas.

And how is Dogger? Today we went on a very short walk:



...and then she went back to sleep

No comments: