Monday, May 7, 2007

Working for a living

At work last week:

Co-worker - Diana! Look out your window! Look at that bird

Me - I'm Busy! Let me finish this one thing!

Co-worker - Diana! Look at that bird! What is it?

And I'm sitting there typing my last letter of the day and I'm thinking, what kind of bird can this be? Am I going to be looking at a flamingo? a bald eagle? an emu? What could be freaking the other girl out like this. She was ready to stroke out about this exotic bird.

I finish what I am doing and I pull the blind down to see this amazing bird and walking across the yard are three Canada geese.

Co-worker - Diana! What are those?

Me - Canada Geese.

Co-worker - You know what they are? You've seen them before?

Me - Yesss. They are everywhere.

Co-worker - Where do they come from?

Me - Canada.

Co-worker - Why are they here?

Me - They're lazy. Flying is hard, stopping and eating is easy. They stop places and end up staying.

Co-worker - What are they doing out there?!

Me - Eating.

Co-worker - Like bugs and worms?

Me - I would imagine.

Co-worker - And there are a lot of them around?

Me - Campus? Some. I've seen them here and there. They can be a real problem, they eat everything and they leave their droppings all over.

Co-worker - Are they mean like regular geese?

Me - I don't think they are going to mug you on your way to your car.

Co-worker - So they aren't mean like regular geese?

Me - I think they pretty much concentrate on eating. I don't think I have ever heard of them attacking anyone, but try not to carry geese chow with you. Who knows, it could get ugly.

I think about mentioning their effects on golf courses but I would be forced to revel I grew up golf course adjacent and I am trying to keep that to myself.

In the month that we have been with out A/C at work we have learned ways to keep the temperature down inside. One of these is to turn the over head lights off. Last week the guy who replaces light bulbs came into the office, registered the lights were off and said "Oh. I can't fix all of these! Oh, nah uh, y'all should have said something about this!". We would have laughed harder, but it was really hot, and we were running low on Popsicles. A few days later a guy came to service the candy machines and he too noticed the lights were off. He walked right past his humming, lit up machine and asked us "Is ya'lls power off? Why is it so hot in here?".

The A/C was supposed to be working by Friday, but it rained, so they couldn't work on it.

Saturday was raining and ugly, but Sunday was beautiful. Dogger and I walked around Boylan Heights, across from Dix and it was lovely, I did think it was a little down market from Oakwood as historical nabs go, until I found a place for sale - $310,000 for three bedrooms, 1 bath, STREET PARKING, 416 square feet smaller than my place and I'm not next door to Central Prison or across from the loony bin. It's still as nice place to wander around though. Dogger and I then went and walked around Dix for a while too. A good time was had by all.

On May 7, 1945, Germany signed an unconditional surrender at Allied headquarters in Rheims, France, to take effect the following day, ending the European conflict of World War II

No comments: