Tuesday, May 8, 2007

It's in the bag

I had noticed that my purse had an autumnal vibe - which was why I bought it last autumn. It is now not autumn, it is now spring and carrying my purse while wearing sandals was a bit like wearing a parka to the beach - really, a great way to protect yourself from the suns harming rays but you can get the same protection with sunscreen. I needed to get the purse equivalent of sunscreen. Also, just looking at it was beginning to make me hot. I've been living without A/C at work for a month, I don't need my purse adding to my discomfort. I can't fix the buildings A/C but I could fix my purse.

Did you know that the sound of someone innocently rinsing out a cooler can sound eerily like the sound of screaming? I just thought I heard someone screaming and I poked my head out the door to see who was screaming and if I should, say, be hiding under my bed. The next time I hear the drug dealers' sister out in her front yard screaming, I will go to a happy place, where she is really just hosing out a cooler.

ANYway.

My purse. A heavy pleather jacket when a tee shirt would suffice.

I had been thinking about it idly. I looked at Target, I checked out DSW, but nothing was following me out of the store. I was waiting for a sign - you know the sign, The sky opens up the angels sing and there glittering in a shaft of light is the One True Purse or sling backs or navy blue slacks. I was waiting to hear the angels or at least The Shirelles and I wasn't hearing anything.

And then. I went to Mass and there in a shaft of light was The Purse. Okay, it was hanging on the fence but I heard angels singing and I was at the noon Mass and gawd knows, the angels don't sing at that Mass and yet, I heard angels... I got The Purse and I helped fund the digging of wells for Indians in Mexico. Yay.

...And then I went home and unpacked the parka into the tee shirt and the Angels were still singing and everything was wonderful and then the Angels started to whistle and check their nails and I noticed that the tee shirt was kind of full and the parka was also still kind of full and maybe what I heard singing before was not angels but the Episcipalians across the street.

But. I had the tee shirt and I could learn to travel lighter.

Have I mentioned that my family has a long history of traveling like the Beverly Hillbillies? I can not travel light. I removed one pen and I was getting the shakes, I removed the lip gloss I carry but never use and I became short of breath, I took out the paperback that lives in my purse I became faint. If I forced myself to travel much lighter I would most likely not survive it. Clearly, I was going to need a bigger purse.

So. I hit Ebay.

I found a purse. Did you know that there are purse brands? I've been a girl for a long time and somehow this escaped me. I was raised label unconscious, actually I was raised to believe that if it was important to you possess a brand named item it meant you were pathetic and sad and simply NOKD. Our kind of people also wore polo shirts but instead of little polo players on our shirts, ours were adorned with polo ponies. My parents taught me that labels were for losers and for other people whose parents really didn't love them.

I found a really cute purse.



It's a Coach Bag. La te Da. Which means that when I put a $10 bid on it and thought I had any chance in hell of it going cheap, I was fooling myself (it ultimately went for over $100). In my world an expensive purse is like $35 and for that much it damn well better be able carry everything you need and answer the door while it's at it.

But. There is an interesting world out there called "Designer Knock Off". A world I was also not familiar with because one must be know what designer is being knocked off to really appreciate the knock off. I learned quickly.

I found another bag. This one had a really great personality.



And I got for $5. My pony doesn't have a rider but as they say it's close enough for government work. $5!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dearodear! If I had raised you properly we BOTH would be able to tell the difference between those two bags!

Unknown said...

They are very much the same. Slightly different stripe colors and the lining is not the same, but it looks just about as nice.