Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Drug Addict

Dogger had another foreshortened visit to the park last night but it wasn't her fault and it wasn't about another dog either. It was The Kitty's fault.

Kitty's pred was running low again and I was making my monthly
call to the vet to grovel for one more month - before his good blood test I was practically having to plead with them to fill his script each month. I didn't love this.

I also didn't love the $17 a month I was getting soaked for either. The vet in Marquette was charging me $10 for a month. I wanted my $7. I always wanted to ask for a copy of the script, but I was afraid they would think I was either 1) accusing them over over charging me - because they were or 2) A bad, cheap Cat mommy. I mean, really. I like them, they are nice people, they love my pets , but they were significantly over charging me for pred.

My cat has to have his pred. No pred, no relief, no fooling around. So I call every month and hope that they aren't keeping too close an eye on how many months in a row it has been since his last blood work. I don't want to hear about it, I just want my cat's drugs.I called up and expected our usual dialogue.

Me - Hi, I need my drugs

Them - Hold Please

Me - Pleasepleasepleaseplease

waitingwaitingwaiting

Them - Okay, but Kitty is going to need blood work done before we can refill this...

Me - I can't afford it this month.

Them - Okay, but next month?

Me - Fine.

I can't afford it next month either and we'll have this conversation every month until the stress kills me and I end up voluntarily bringing him in before they can hold me at pred-point to force me to do it. This time it was different. "Do you want the pills or would you like a copy of the prescription?". I was like "Um, you mean I can have the prescription I can take it somewhere else cheaper!?" Score!

I picked up the script at lunch and it was good for three refills at the pharmacy of my choice. I would like to point out that the prescription that I take, the human being, costs me $4 a month. The cats' prescription costs almost four times as much each month and that sucks.

I would have taken the script to Sam's right after work, but I want Dogger to have as much time at the park as she can get and the earlier I can get her there the more drama-free time she has to run and play. I do kind of miss my park friends but I can exchange small talk other people whose names I don't know at five as just as well as at seven. I keep telling myself that, but damn it, I miss Max and Eno and little Lulu and the sweet little bulldog girl and my bassets and Karma and Camu and I miss their dog Moms and dog Dads too. It makes me sad and makes me even more pissed at Drama's people. But, Daisy deserves to have a good time - it is after all a dog park not a Coffee Klatch. But maybe I'll try it out later on after awhile. I think though, for the time being it's good for Dogger to be around the significantly less aggressive dogs that play at the park earlier. Dogger doesn't seem to have any special doggy friends there, but she also doesn't have anyone she needs to dominate and nobody is gunning for her at five either.

Anyway. I cut the visit short so I could hit the pharmacy. Dogger was cool with leaving and actually left under her own steam, no pulling, tugging or cursing required - because I promised a trip to the "store". A trip to the store means she gets a second trip in the car and she loves riding in the car. I think she even enjoys hanging out in the parking lot - it's too hot for too much of that, so I had to run in and run out of the store pretty fast. We sat in the car with the A/C running and killed the ozone for fifteen minutes until Kitty's script was ready.

$4. A year of pred will run me $48 for a year, if I had kept having it filled at the vet it would and has run me $204 a year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't bad-mouth the vet. I like those people. It's as if no longer having dogs also means we don't get to see the people at the vet's office. (However, I never want to know the total of money we spent in the last few months of each dog's life. Don't tell me.)

Good news on the outside pharmacy! I think once the vet understood your side, they helped you out.

Unknown said...

That victory belongs to an other, I just got the spoils. I like the vets' people I just didn't like the vets' pred price.

Cat said...

Tony, you really don't want to know how much it cost for Goofch to die. I won't tell you, but it cost more than having a baby.

Unknown said...

i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e