Friday, June 1, 2007

Take Good Notes

A while ago I got a post card from my eye doctor reminding me “It’s that time again” . I nodded in agreement and forgot about it.

About a week later my eyes were bothering me and I said to myself “I need to remember that they are bugging me so I can tell the optometrist when I go in. It’s that time again I think”. Then my eyes stopped being weird - in that I stopped noticing them. I think we should not notice our body parts. I mean, the day you say “Hmm. I can feel my pancreas”, it is not going to be a good day. Slam your thumb in the car door and tell me you liked it better when you didn’t have to spend so much time thinking about that thumb.

I decided to take advantage of my insurance and made an appointment with my friendly neighborhood Eye Doc In A Box . I called them up, talked day and time and came to something we could both live with.

Time passes.

I ask off work and trot to my Eye Doc In A Box. I get there and there are about eight girls wandering around behind the counter. They all appear to be doing “something” and they could have been doing the same thing. It was hard to tell, they all looked very busy. I was the only patient .

I gave the girl standing closest to the counter my name. Nothing. I offered that I had an appointment. Like now. Still nothing. She was looking at her screen. She asked me to spell my name, first and last. Still nothing. She asked who I made my appointment with. I told her I didn’t know. I was thinking, Why on earth would I remember who answered the phone? Who remembers that kind of thing? And besides, there are 126 girls working behind the counter right now, How should I be able to remember which Kristi I spoke with? Why would it matter, everyone here is named “Kristi”. While I was thinking this they asked each other if they had spoke with me. The Kristi’s couldn’t remember. They asked me again with whom I spoke with, I again told them I didn’t remember.

Then I said “Some one from this office called and confirmed with me yesterday”

BOOM

Now they were made at each other.

Did you do it?
Did you call?
Did You write it down?
You are supposed to write it down!
Who Called?

The one with the springy-ist pony tail bounced over and asked me who called me.

I told her it was a message on my phone and I didn’t speak with anyone.

One of the Kristi’s started pawing through a binder, I guess on the off chance that whoever called me wrote it down. This set off another round of accusations among the Kristi’s.

We’re supposed to write it down!
I always put it down !
I never forget to enter appointments!
I log all my confirmations!

And I’m thinking, well, obviously.

Finally, an older and less springy woman entered the discussion and her hair squishy was definitely in a wad about this. I had to again repeat my testimony that I didn’t have a transcript of the conversation and sadly, I also couldn’t recall exactly what day I made my appointment. Stupid me. I had a made the assumption that one of us was writing all this down. Perhaps the one of us with an appointment book in front of her.

She reminded the Kristi’s that they needed to remember to write things down. She all but reminded me that making assumptions makes an ass of “u” and “me”. I all but reminded her that one of us was being an ass and it wasn’t “me”.

She told me that if the 4:30 didn’t show up, I could have the appointment. I thought “Gee, you mean I could have the appointment I made and you confirmed? Gosh.” But instead I read a three month old Newsweek and watched the 4:30 arrive.

I went to the counter and the Kristi told me the 4:30 had arrived. I told her I saw that. She apologized, and asked when I would like to reschedule. I told her I would take an appointment on Saturday. She checked the appointment book and said they didn’t have anything available this Saturday and offered next Saturday. I told her I wasn’t available next Saturday and I walked out.

I drove off in a huff and went to Wallyworld and made an appointment with their in-store optometrist for this Saturday. I’m going to see if Lens-Crafters has anything for this weekend. I really don’t want to have to go through life with Wal-Mart among my healthcare providers.

No comments: