Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Live on Earth

Damn, I'm hungry. They haven't moved the candy machines to our new building yet and I'm dieing! I know that junk food is wrong, but dammit, I'm hungry and office supplies, while high in fiber, aren't really as satisfying. Trust me on this.

I'm not even sure that I have change for the machine, it's just the idea that if I did have change then I could get something out it. It's about hope. No candy machine means no hope! They are leaving me hopeless! Also, if there were a candy machine in the break room, and I was hungry, I could go look at what the machine had and then reject what it had as being bad for me. I could not only not eat the bad food, I could earn self esteem points for recognizing the badness of the food and being strong and not eating it, even though I was hungry.

The machine not being there is causing me all kind of discomfort. I actually think that OSHA needs to be notified. My rights are being violated. My hope for this new building is that it will never get so hot inside that all the chocolate candy in the candy machine melts. That really sucks.

Back to Live Earth. I watched it. I watched a lot of it. It did tell me that I should unplug all my various chargers when they weren't in use and I did unplug my various chargers that were not in use, and later I felt bad about having a light on upstairs, but not so much that I turned it off. But I did feel bad about having in on. Live Earth left me feeling the same way Live Aid did. While I cared, I wasn't stirred enough to really do anything that would put me out.

I remember Live Aid, I watched it. And Farm Aid. And AIDS Aid. And Homeless Aid. I watched all the Aids.There is nothing like having a Republican in the Oval office to make things need aid - which kind of feeds into the RNC's goal of having the private sector take care of everything. All they have to do is either under fund or not fund at all and The People will render the aid. The People are easily taken.

Live Aid, as I remember it, was supposed to make all of us wealthy, spoiled, westerners get all upset and guilty about the plight of the poor starving Africans - But why wasn't it aimed at the war lords and corrupt politicians in Africa whose actions were actually starving the Africans? The rich, spoiled westerners weren't holding back aid shipments or blowing up food convoys. Did the war lords watch it? Did they feel bad?

Now we're upset about The Sudan, and once again corrupt politicians and war lords are starving the people. Why don't we do a whole concert attacking them? how about the nations arming them? The firms that are profiting off those sales? Fight the power! Damn the man! Sending the war lords bags of grain does not feed the people. You want to feed the people you need to cut out the war lords. Perhaps if they lived on top of our oil?

I will give Live Earth cedit for actually being about something that I have some input on, and in that way, I think it was somewhat successful. They could have spent the time spreading the word about the bizzillon different ways we can each save a little energy every day. They could have spent more time hammering those things home to us. Maybe more time spent spreading the word and educating the masses and less time kibitzing between acts.

74,300 Ways to save water

188,000 Ways to Save Energy

1,730,000 Tips on green living

2,100,000 Ways to Recycle

How Do I recycle my :fill in the blank

No comments: