Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It’s in the bag

I decided since I’m on this End Summer Now campaign that I while I can’t really wear anything wool for the time being, that I could at least carry a winter purse. I look for joy where I can find it. Shut up.

And so this forced me to have to look around online for advise and there was a lot of it. Ask Google for Handbag trends for fall 2007 and ye shall receive.

The first link suggested color, lots and lots of color and if that color was patent leather even better. It went on to say if you could score a vividly colored patent leather bag with some exotic skin embossed on it, well more the better.

I have some colorful bags but they are for the wrong season. Colorful for spring 2007 is not the same as colorful for fall 2007. Bag Snobs was even kind enough to make a list

#1: Go Bold with Color!
#2: Geometric Shapes will modernize your wardrobe.
#3: Shine on with patent leather!
#4: Keep last season's metallic.
#5: Go Exotic with ostrich or a lux Valextra croc!


All good advice but I never embraced the whole metallic thing. In my mind those purses say Married to the Mob and suggests you favor large scale use of animal prints and wear big hair. I think it’s a case of the designers laughing at the public.

And so they suggest color, but which colors? You have to be careful with turquoise for example - I went to another site in search of more spoon fed advice. I don’t want to have to wade through a lot of babble, I want them to tell me what to buy and in what color or colors. I know what I like, but I also know that what I like isn’t necessarily something I would really want to be seen with everyday. While making a fashion statement is nice. I would prefer to use a quote whenever possible.

The next site I went to, Artical directory, um, yes, well. Anyway, suggested:
. • Oversized bags in patent leather, pebble-grain leather, clear plastic or patterned
• Medium doctor bags
• Metallic bags in silver, gold and bronze• The medium-size envelope bag or a clutch in metallics or shiny satin
• Faux crocodile or snake-skin handle bags You're a style trendsetter with any of these handbags.


Again pressing for the metallics! And I again had to say no! I went to another site Senora Cartera, who while, lovely no doubt, suggested I spend upwards of $1500! She makes an argument for “investment bags”. I have to argue that they are purses not real estate! I moved on. Jewel tones, muted earth tones - Bright blue is very hot but so are reds, golds, greens and purples. The fashion people suggest you leave your dull brown bag at home and get a bright color, any color and get it in patent leather.

I looked at a few more sites. I learned that Gray is a very big color fashionwise for fall. Gray is the new black, also, boots should have a low heel and be a little below the knee. The ideal purse for the fall would be gray patent leather embossed with snake skin and it should have a handle. Knock yourself out. I ended up with a bright apple green bag, patent leatherlike, a very nice, very cheap find. Senora Cartera wouldn't approve, but, I love Target.

No comments: