Thursday, August 16, 2007

Randomness

Remember when bottles were glass? Remember how heavy they were? remember collecting money by recycling them? And then everything went plastic, that cheap bubble -y plastic, not the sleek plastic everything is now, the faux glass. You pay extra for plastic that looks like glass. Sprite has always been good at that. A Sprite bottle looks like a sprite bottle. It's the dimples.

it doesn't matter how glassy the plastic is formed to, you can drop it from the counter and it still isn't going to shatter. You aren't going to break it. You also don't see as much broken glass around either. Pretty much the only thing that still comes in glass are beer bottles and the odd condiment. I remember when just about the only plastic you would have around the house was your shampoo bottles. There isn't as much sea glass anymore either. There used to be a lot of people who did thing's things, with sea glass. I wonder if they had to start making there own. Perhaps there are even sea glass farms out there.That would be a good gig. Work though your aggression by smashing glass, feel green by using the broken glass, make green by selling the glass. I mean, it wouldn't happen over night, sea glass takes time, but nothing is perfect. You might spend a lot of time watching glass dull.

I got to thinking about the wonders of plastic and the dearth of glass because The Kitty launched a plastic bottle off the counter and instead of shattering it just bounced. I wonder if The Kitty would be so excited by throwing things off shelves if he got to experience the unjoys of smashing those things. I would think, that as a cat, The Kitty would be unthrilled by the prospect of all the fluids that would be a side effect of the smashing. He doesn't always like the sound of what he just launched bouncing when it hits the grown, he would really hate the sound of crashing. When he has successfully smashed things he didn't like it. The smashing got my attention but it didn't often lead to his getting fed - his ultimate goal. I would have to clean up whatever he smashed and that did not lead to his getting fed. I think he saw the cause and effect of launching things that break verses things that bounce. Bouncing = Food, Smashing = Not Food.

Another thing. Why can't online driving directions be more personalized? All they would have to do is ask you questions about where you are going. I had to look up directions the other day. I wasn't going far, I was just going somewhere I hadn't been before. I got there and I was like "I know where I am! Why did they send me here this way? I didn't need to get on the expressway to get here! I got lost for nothing". It's true. I even went to different sources to get directions because with online directions you are usually lucky if what they give you is only slightly wrong and they only get confused about right and left on some of the turns. Two different sources failed to give me the most direct path to get there.

If they had only asked me questions. You know like "Do you like pizza?, have you tried LILLY's?", how about art films? remember where you saw whatever art film you saw? Yeah. Right there", or even "That place you used to go sometimes, and you always said you would go back but you didn't? Like a block up from there". I hate that. I drove around like an idiot, worse than that a tourist and they could have just told me where I was going was where I had been.

No comments: