Thursday, September 13, 2007

Control/Alt/Delete

Well. I had about a half way written entry, it was good it was about cats, I was pleased. But I was also lazy. I said “Hmmm. I think I had a something that would work here, I cut it from another entry and if I could find it, since I saved it, I could use it here! Yay!”. Well.

That was a mistake.

When I started to flip through various documents on my desktop, yes I keep things on my desk top, I don’t want to have look for things, I want things right in front of me. Well. Now I have a new appreciation for typewriters.

Typewriters don’t magically “forget” the page and half you just finished. Typewriters don’t eat documents because they're feeling peckish . What you see in front of you is what you get. There is no way for your typewriter to make whole documents just disappear. Once it’s there, its there. You, your very own self have to lose the document, it is totally up to you, the sentient being to lose your document. Your typewriter is not going to help you do it. You can do all kinds of stupid and it’s all up to you. The typewriter is simply being a tool. Because it can, because you can't get the internet on your typwriter.

Your computer is also a tool (see difintion #20). A tool of the devil.

Your computer thinks text documents are boring. It wants to edit home movies or download I-Tunes or send and receive viruses. It wants to be involved it wants to stay engaged and interested. Do not bore your computer. A bored computer is a mean computer is a computer that does not practice “auto save”.

My computer is very mean. I was right in the middle of a treatise on kitties, I mean, undomesticated house cats, what I really mean is an in-depth profile of a feral cat community or whatever they call large groups of feral cats living together and their social mores and strictures, system of beliefs. No. In real life?, it was pretty much about baby kitties.

Dogger and I have been walking past this house for the last couple of months, infrequently, as it’s too hot for walks and the park is more fun. But anyway, on our infrequent walks, we go past this house that seems to have evolved into some sort of home for wayward cats or the homeowners innocently started with one or two outdoor cats that they forget to get fixed and then it kind of got out of hand or it’s some sort of new kind of curb appeal thing. I know the cats have had some sort of influence on them, their carport used to be filled with boxes and now its carpeted with paper plates and plastic water bowls. I mean, at least they cleaned up the boxes - those were real eyesores.

The kitties, erm, cats are at least cute and I have noticed that there are no more rats in that houses ornamental ivy. Yay for environmentally friendly vector control! Go kitties!

Anyway. The cats have been strictly in the front yard, front walk, driveway, shrubbery, rain gutters.... They are pretty territorial that way. And despite the numbers that live there, you really have to look for them and the ones you can find don’t seem to move around much and could be just really, really good yard art. Ever changing, occasionally reproducing, yard art. I guess that one of the pieces decided to take it’s, or most likely her show on the road, or at least the side yard.

Dogger and I found some little emigres before she went all Psychic Friends and I wandered into Law and Order .In retrospect, we should have stayed with the kitties longer.

Last night, we went back. I think we bonded. The kitties aren’t even close to being cats yet. They aren’t even “small”, they are smaller than small, they are wee. And I think they may be orphans and I know they live in a storm drain. Which thus far has been fine, after all it hasn’t rained in their lifetimes but I’m really afraid that their lives are going to end with the drought.

Also, I named one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: naming

You DO realize how dangerous that is?? (in terms of acquiring an additional kitty???)