Friday, October 26, 2007

Couch Trip

It’s been raining for two days. We haven’t had two overcast days back to back in months and now it’s rained two days in a row. To make it so I could run my sprinklers again it would have to rain like 20 days in a row. All day, every day – in which case, I wouldn’t need to run my sprinklers.

All t his cloud cover is making it hard to wake up. The over head light in my office makes it feel like I’m working on a warming table, but if I turn it off it get s so dark in here I have to fight to stay awake.

It’s a good thing I have this stash of Smarties to keep be alert. I’ve been throwing these things back all afternoon and I don’t think my IQ has moved an inch. I am very disappointed in the Smarties. I do however, believe that I could, if I wanted to, paint the entire building in less than three minutes. I could also solve world hunger and bring about world peace. And jump tall buildings in a single bound. And learn Italian.

Dogger has slept much of the last two days, she gets up every once in a while to see if the Kitty needs to be terrorized, but most of the time she seems to be sleeping. I think she may be really just pouting because I found out she had been sleeping on the couch while I’m at work and now a chair lives on the couch, the chair joined the floor fan that lives on the chair as anti-dogger comfort devises. If she wasn’t so precious about pillows I would never have found about the couch thing at all. Dogger has a real issue with throw pillows. She throws them and when I started to find them on the floor I knew where Dogger was spending her days.

I tried to explain to her that pillows belong on the couch and Dogger's belong on the floor but she wasn’t listening. She doesn’t like them and she won’t have them touching her and in her mind, pillows belong on the floor and she belongs on the couch. The fact that she has her own bed seems to be beside the point. She wants the couch, my couch.

I think I would like to take the futon downstairs and let it live in the office and maybe let Dogger sleep on it in lieu of my real furniture, but I don’t think there is enough room for it, even if I remove Doggers crate, I don’t think there is anywhere for it. It was really useful when I bought it, but now it’s been re-purposed as the world’s most expensive cat bed and I don’t like it. The Kitty likes it, but The Kitty is arrears on his part of the house payment so he doesn’t get to vote on where the futon lives and who gets to use it as an over-priced pet bed.

But it’s a moot point if there isn’t room for it anywhere else. And you can’t just out a futon anywhere. Futons look an awful lot like futons. They don’t look much like beds and they don’t look much like couches and in theory they could be used as either but do neither task well. They are a jack of all trades while being a master of none. I don’t care if a piece of furniture can also be a credenza if it can’t be a comfortable bed at the same time – no matter how much I need a credenza. A silk purse made of a pig’s ear is still a pig’s ear.

Now with bonus Dog Blogging!

No comments: