Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Lost in Place

I got this Evite

Come and meet local Triangle area bloggers, swap technical skills, exchange marketing ideas, and much more!

NBC 17 is hosting a social event with an assortment of coffees, teas and pastries. NBC 17 recognizes the significance of the personal media revolution, having begun partaking in our very own blogs as well. Share your expertise with us!

In addition, Terry Heaton , will be on hand to provide us with his own best practices since entering the blogosphere four years ago. Feel free to pick his brain with your own thoughts, ideas, and questions too!

Let's all learn from each other.


And I said Cool! I wanna go to a social event that does not include dogs! I wanna learn! I want to enjoy an assortment of coffees, teas and pastries with other bloggers! I don’t know any of them and I read very few local bloggers who aren’t actually kin or Tiffany, but I could change, I could grow. I could eat some free pastries.

So. I went. I tried to “went”. I drove around for forty-five minutes before I decided to cut my loses and go home while I still knew which way that was.

I should have turned around when I saw a guy out walking with his cute,cute,cute Jack Russell and the guy was talking to the dog and the dog really seemed to be listening and I said to myself Why am I not home with my dog?

I had directions. I went online and printed them out. I have said in the past I was never, ever, ever,ever,ever,ever going to do that again but it’s the only way. The business isn’t going to keep a library of speciality directions on hand, you can’t call them and expect- Oh, give me your address, let me tell you how to get here, Of course, let me stay on the phone with you while you get here. Excellent.. And speaking of the business, they weren’t real helpful when I called them either. They did know they were closer to the mall than to downtown but they weren’t exactly sure what defined “closer” They were very sure they were near a Block Buster. Super.

According to Opal ( I could hear her tats) they were real near the Subway. I didn’t see a Subway or a Blockbuster. I saw a lot of lawyers offices and the mall, but no Subway, no Blockbuster. I blame my directions. They were the expected poor directions sample direction Right on Local Street - Why must I be directed ‘round Robin Hoods Barn every single time? Is there a reason they can’t give the best possible route? Must it always be the route that goes from point A to point B but not before sending me though points F, R and D. I would love to tell the drones that create those maps that not all locations in Raleigh require a trip on Wade Avenue...

And the thing is, I can usually find where I’m going. I don't understand maps, but as long as I know what general direction I’m supposed to be going in, I find my way. It’s all about land marks and street numbers - which can be a problem if you are in backward place. Hgielar doesn’t believe in street numbers or signage... The city fathers of Hgielar expect you to have been born here and thus, since you have always lived here, you don’t need street signs to find things, you just know where things are. I hate Hgielar.

2 comments:

Cat said...

And the maps are all wrong in Hgielar. Not just confusing, but wrong. As in, "This street does not actually cross that one, even though the map says it does." So even if you read maps, it might not have helped.

Anonymous said...

Precisely why I don't travel into Wake County. Durham is a big enough pain without me straying onto 440.