Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Burning Daylight

Your dog will not understand the time change or why it's leisurely trip to the park has been replaced with a frantic pee-and-run. It’s not fun.

At least this year we've had practice. Since the affaire Drama Dog we've been rushiong to get to the park for months. We haven't gotten as spoiled as we have in the past - you know with the going to the park whenever we wanted to and staying as late as we wanted to. The time change really screws with that schedule. This year? I drove home like a normally do, changed my clothes immediately upon getting in the house, hustled Dogger out the door, just like everyday No learning curve for us.

I pulled into the park and did my usual scan to see if Drama was there yet. Drama and her people come later, but later was not an option anymore. And there they were, a quarter to five and they were all ready there! Do those people not have jobs? I was not thrilled. If I wasn't such a chicken shit and they wern't such assholes, we could have long ago worked out a schedule. But ya know, I'm a chicken shit and they're assholes..

But I didn't turn around in the lot and go home. The park is big enough for all the dogs. My Dogger wasn't going to spend what little time we had there in doggy time out. They had all ready claimed the back forty, we could claim the rest of it. The front forty.

And we did. Dogger cavorted, I felt pretty good about letting her off the leash with Drama so far away and Dogger stayed pretty close to me any way. It was a little lonely, but I didn't have the daylight to sit at the picnic table and visit. Dogger was off leash and enjoying herself so I decided that I would enjoy myself watching her enjoy herself.

And she did. And I did.

Everything was cool until I went to pick up a dog bomb and when I looked up I saw her running hell bent for leather towards the back forty.

Fortunately, she ran out of leather and when she noticed I wasn't immediately behind her. She stopped and looked for me and I was able to grab her before she noticed the whole rest of the park and the always attractive Drama Dog, who had left the reservation and was wandering too close to our neck of the park. Bitch. I noticed some of our doggy friends arriving and watched their people go merrily to the back forty to visit with Drama's people.

And that made me think about how long it's been since I've been able to visit with those people and watching them happily go sit with Drama's asshole people made me more than a little bitter. Dogger had a good time wrestling with a group of smaller dogs and she was getting tired out and so I found a chair and we took a rest. I was about rested out and getting ready to head home when I saw Drama Dog leave the park! And the angels sang and the heavens opened and a there was joy through out the land. Sure, it was getting dark and a little chilly, but Dogger could run free and I could go visit with my friends!

It was great. We stayed until well after dark. And hunters, if you want to hunt in the dark, dye your hunting clothes the same color as your big orange dawg. You'll render yourself even more invisible than if were dressed head to toe in camo.

No comments: