Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Shoe Enough

I want to know what the philosophy behind installing glass soles on shoes. I have a pair of shoes that are not new .I wear them on hard surfaces and in theory they should be sufficiently scuffed as to prevent slipping and causing falls but after being worn for months they are still soled with shellac.

I slipped twice today on grass. Once first thing in the morning out in the yard with Dogger, who despite her initial trepidation was an excellent dance partner, and in the soles defense, there may have been frost and then again at my office on my way to lunch when there was most certainly no frost, when I went to chase a plastic bag. Don’t ask.

I don’t see how having the soles of the shoe’s being made slick is a good thing. Is there a guy sitting in a secret high fashion showroom in Italy somewhere and he decided what mind of soles we should have on our mid-priced loafers? Just because they are Capezio we should be expected to spontaneously break out in dance? I’m sure my little spill this morning, set to music would have been quite delightful.

I do not understand how someone’s highly defined, cultured; sense of footwear aesthetics could be offended by a shoe with a slip-proof sole. I do understand that the shoes were no doubt designed by someone with a clinically advanced and possibly crippling, foot fetish and I realize that loafers aren’t exactly the most sexy of foot wear but I don’t understand why they thought a foot would look better if it was in a cast. I do think however that the shoe was designed by an apprentice shoe designer because other than the problematic sole, the shoes do not cause me any kind of pain or disfigurement – attributes that are required design elements of high end ladies shoes. As a mid-range loafer, those sought after extras are not included. However, what they lack in style they more than make up for with the very sexy potential for causing personal injury. I’m sure the designer, having thus proved himself as a true high fashion misogynist, has moved up and on to designs with much more potential for disfigurement by now.

I’m going to channel pre-Seinfeld Seinfeld: What is it with this reverting back from Daylight savings time? What exactly is the benefit of this? More daylight in the early morning? I’m leaving for work at exactly the same time as before the time change and it is as dark when I leave as it was before. I fail to see the upside to “extra” light in the morning hours. I’m pretty sure the harvests are in, and I would be more than happy to have more than 20 minutes of useable daylight in the evenings when I come home. Have you ever tried to explain to your dog the reason you aren’t going to the park is because you stopped to speak with a co-worker on your way out the door and then you ran into a detour downtown on the way home and it took an extra six minutes to get home and now it’s dark and oh well.

No comments: