Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to my life

1+7=8 Cool!

Two replacement credit cards and a new bank account later, I decided they needed a home. It was time to replace my wallet.

Do you remember the provenance of your wallet? My stolen wallet, the one I've had since college replaced a gift from my best friend back in Junior High. I replaced it only because I thought that I had moved, at last, beyond Velcro.

Sigh. I miss my wallet. I've lost literally, gawd, I don't know over the years dozens of credit cards. They go through my fingers like water, I swear. But I have never lost a wallet, rather, it was not "lost", I have never had my wallet stolen before.

I can replace the credit cards and my drivers licence but what about my official X-Files fan club card?! What about the Worst Horoscope Ever? August of 1989 I had a horoscope that told me I could ill and not know it, should think about life on the streets and then some other warning, I think about writing thank you notes or something. I don't remember and I CAN'T GO CHECK. You know what else I can't go check? One of my credit cards in through my alumni society. I can't remember if my stolen card still used the old name of my school or if it had the new name on it. I don't like the new name, I prefer the old one. Sigh. It's not just things they steal when they steal from you.

Friday night I decided that I was tired of rooting around in my purse to find things: I needed a new wallet. I thought How Hard Can It Be? How Many Different Styles Are There? HA. A lot and A lot I don't like. I also wanted a new checkbook cover. The plastic is okay, but its so plastic and my stolen one was really cool. Sigh.

Anyway. I went to Target. Sigh. Everyone must have had their purses stolen because they were cleaned out. There were a few there, but they weren't what I wanted. The ID holders were all in the wrong place. I want to be able to hand over my ID to the store clerk with out having them hold the wallet open open. If the ID window is in the right place, the wallet stays open to the window, without splaying the rest of the contents of the wallet out for the world to see. It's very genteel. The designers of wallets for the most part are not interested in gentility.

I left with out a wallet but with some 75% off Christmas lights.

Saturday morning I was off again, this time in pursuit of a new checkbook cover. I wanted my old one back, so I went back to the store where I got it originally, but where as it turns out, there is now a cupcake store. Yay for Raleigh being all trendy, but not yay for me getting my checkbook cover back. It was special damn it. It was from Tibet, it was a Tibetan checkbook cover! Free Tibet! Give me my damn checkbook cover back!

After I walked all over Glenwood Avenue, I remembered that the Tibetan checkbook cover store may have moved to Moore Square. So I went to Moore Square. I drove.

The Tibet store was there but they didn't have checkbook covers. But what if I don't want an Issac Mizrahi checkbook cover? Purse thieves should burn in hell. I decided I didn't have to use a Mizrahi checkbook cover or wallet - even if they were the best of what I had found. I really didn't want to have to settle on this. I only replace these things never and if I don't like them now, I'm going to have a long time to not like them. And no, I won't just get used to it. Every time I use whatever it is I'll just think about what is wrong with it and why I'm not happy with it and how happy I was with my old one and how pissed I am because I don't have them anymore. Being unhappy forever with my wallet choice will not aid in my healing.

I need to heal. I went to Kohl's.

There I found a healing salve. A wallet that is almost exactly like my stolen wallet. Only a little smaller and red. I like it. The checkbook covers didn't do it for me, I want my Tibetan checkbook cover. Damn it. I was off to World Market. Perhaps I could grow to love a Guatemalan or Cambodian checkbook cover.

No love. No checkbook covers. I went home to lick my wounds.

No comments: