Monday, March 31, 2008

In like a lion...

I spent last weekend at the beach.. I spent this weekend wrapped in a comforter huddled around the DVD player with Dogger and The Kitty. March comes in like a lion and out like a cold, wet, sad baby lamb.

They invented DVD players for this kind of weekend. Saturday I half-heartedly did some laundry and watched three hours worth of a not-very-good BBC lawyer drama. Think bad The Practice crossed with say, anything on Lifetime. Not to say “really, really bad” but also not to say “quality” or “worthwhile” or “good”. But it was a cold, rainy and cold and rainy Saturday and my options were limited.

I still did get things done though. I got the laundry done, I heated up some soup, I finished up some left over breakfast Danish and figured out a way to keep the ottoman from slip, sliding away from the chair. And then, I went to Broskey and Alphagals where Alphagal gave me a very yummy still-warm-from-the-oven loaflette of bread. After that, Dogger, The Kitty and I watched The Lake House, a not at all bad for a cold, wet, rainy Saturday night Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock movie all in all, a very productive day.

And then it was Sunday. I went to Church and filled up the car. It was still cold and rainy and now I didn’t have any laundry to do and I had run out of DVDs! Anthony Bourdain beckoned. He was in Ghana, where he very much enjoyed the food, the country, the people and their Kente cloth, and then he was on to Namibia where he did not enjoy the food, (think dirt, no pots and pans or plates or sanitation), the country, the people or anything else. I dozed while he did a yeoman's job of not barfing his way across the Kalahari . No matter what desert Bourdain was trekking through, I had to make hot chocolate. Had to it was that cold and nasty. Sitting inside, under a blanket with Dogger and The Kitty dancing attendance, I had to make hot chocolate. Brr. Last week I was sitting on the beach.

And then it was time to do something, anything. I decided to take Dogger for a walk. Dogger thought I was joking and suggested that staying inside was a better idea. She also suggested that perhaps we should see what was airing on Animal Planet. I suggested that she needed to go out because they do not make a litter box that large.. She said that she possesses the largest bladder in the animal kingdom and she had been out just been outside yesterday. In my defense, when we set out it was only drizzling. By the time we came home, soaked to the bone and cold.

I decided it would be a good time to give Dogger a nice warm shower after the nasty, cold shower I had just treated her to. I am glad to say instead of the scent of wet dog wafting through the house, now my house carries the scent of Pantene with just a wiff of anti-flea. Dogger is barking at me, she wants me to go back to the TV and watch Mythbusters with her.

No comments: