Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More Power

Did ya’ll remember to turn your lights off Sunday night? Yeah. I totally forgot too. Also, I thought it was kind of dumb - But I was going to do it because it was one of those hands-across-whatever things and I think those are always worthwhile. Dumb, but worthwhile. I totally would have taken part but sadly at 8pm I had just started watching my movie, upstairs and I didn’t think about the outside lights downstairs. In reality, I think I had a lights on that I shouldn’t have, apart from the porch light I was supposed to turn off in solidarity. I was bad.

Canada, though. Canada went dark for an hour and then they all went out en mass and bought energy star appliances and compact florescent light bulbs and rain barrels and electric cars.

Last week I got a letter of apology from Netflix. They were very sorry they didn’t send me a movie as soon as they were supposed to. They had a glitch. Not that I would notice, I’m a long term costumer, my stuff always takes a long time to get to me. I would never have noticed if it didn't appear to be the slowest news day ever. But lets look shall we? What else was going on in the world on March 25, 2008, apart from Netflix getting constipated. Hmm. Some people couldn’t get their season 2, disk 4 of The Ten of Us while other folks:

Iraqi Crackdown on Shiite Forces Sets Off Fighting
By MICHAEL KAMBER and JAMES GLANZ
Heavy fighting broke out in Basra and Baghdad as Iraqi forces mounted a major operation against Shiite militias.

Unrest at Shuttered Gateway to Tibet
By JAKE HOOKER
Chengdu, China, feels like a border outpost, tense and anxious, at the edge of what several Tibetans called a war.

Outlook Remains Bleak for 2 Programs
By ROBERT PEAR
The Bush administration said that Medicare and Social Security are still losing financial ground, but that they had not deteriorated significantly in the last year.

So, not actually the slowest news day ever. The War, unrest in Asia, Bushco sponsored medicare/medicaid issues and so much more! And yet. Netflix having the vapors made CNN

As you may have heard, our shipping system was unexpectedly down for most of Monday. We should have shipped you a DVD but were unable to. Your DVD was shipped today, Tuesday, March 25th, instead.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. We will issue a 5% credit to your account in the next few days. You don't need to do anything. The credit will be automatically applied to your next billing statement.

Again, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your understanding


I kind of want to know what really happened and why they feel so bad about it. I think something really bad happened and they tried to get in front of it. But. I think the lady doth protest too much. I would never have noticed! They had to send out a press release to tell everyone they had a boo-boo.. They should have just kept their mouths shut.

A water main breaks and leaves my apartment without water for three days? Nada! A couple of years later, another winter storm took out power all over Raleigh and Durham. I all but cried over the phone to Progress Energy - I wasn’t really crying, but I thought tears or the impression of tears, would help grease the wheels to get the trucks out my way to turn the power back on. I told the unlucky person answering the phone a story about my poor, ill, elderly, bedfast neighbor lady and how this was probably going to hasten her no doubt (for my purposes) imminent death if they didn’t get her and by extension, my power turned back on right now. You use your MBA your way, I use my BFA my way. As long as we use them for good not evil, I don’t see a problem and my electric company still didn’t apologize. No Letter! Nothing but a significantly higher electric bill that month. They dunned us for not using electricity for a week. My neighbor lady did not freeze to death, she waited until the summer to die.

I think I might have been more excited about turning my lights off if I hadn’t all ready spent enough time in the dark.

No comments: