Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More than voting

Have you ever been watching TV and watched one of those ads for The Amazing Fill-In-The-Blank? Of course you have. You don’t just see these ads once, you see it fifteen times during the Law and Order marathon you got sucked into and then, after freeing yourself from Dick Wolfs' clutches, you see the ad four more times during House Hunters and by time number twenty rolls around during Myth Busters you start thinking You know what? I think I need that, and the only reason you haven’t all ready ordered that is because you can’t remember if the number is 800-DUMMIES or 866-CHEAT ME and by the time you do write the number down, if the madness has gotten that far, You have most likely had time to think whether anything really amazing can be had for three payments of $19.99.

Well. Be glad you are too lazy to go find your phone and credit card! That laziness has prevented you from getting involved in all make and model of deception and fraud. And to make yourself feel even better about your sloth, there is a site dedicated to the complaints of the people who did buy those things, Infomercials Scams.com.

Were you almost lured in by the powdery promises of Bare Minerals? Good thing it was almost, how about Hercules Hooks?, the only thing that will get “held up” is you. And it goes on and on. You want to hear the truth about those promises of instawealth? Wealth Infomercials, shockingly the guy in the money suit lies!, House Hold Goods, again with the shock, Direct Buy is a scam and on and on.

Bottom line, if it sounds too good to be true? It is! Try to stay strong and remember Billy Mays is not your real friend. Have I ever ordered any thing off the TV? Yes, yes I have, many moons ago I bought an Xfiles shirt and hat from the Home Shopping Network. I have also bought those stupid things you see offered on you credit card bill. I have lusted after Space Bags! Do I own any Space Bags? No! Will I ever order a $4.95 laser level from VISA again? No!

Live and learn.

Onto other things that annoy me. On Saturday I finally got a notice about my yearly mass precinct meeting. Fine. I wish it would have arrived say, more than three days ahead of time but it’s not like I have anything else to do and I am such a geek, even if I did have something else scheduled, I would have to reschedule it, after all what’s more important that participating in our democracy?

Tonight, I received a call from the prodigal Precinct Captain! The Invisible Man! The man I thought had made it clear he wasn’t actually interested in being our chair because he had bigger fish to fry in more important places and had in fact, had been voted out of the position. Guess again! He called to remind me about a precinct meeting and he didn’t mention the mass meeting at the high school that we got post cards about - My precinct has a really hard time getting people to any meeting not held at our rec center. We are very sad. And Lazy. “We” being defined as those who are not me. I have perfect attendance. And also, I have a selfish need for poor turn out, the more people who show up for the meetings mean less of chance of me getting to be a delegate to the various state conventions and this year the big state convention is being held in the city where my parents live and I would actually go . Last year it was too far away and I missed it. This is an election year, there are no local politics. I think that’s why the Prodigal Precinct Chair came back. Off years just aren’t sexy enough for him.

Oh! And speaking of sexy, did you see the Democratic Governor of New York is part of a prostitution ring! How shocking, A polition being caught having sex with a woman!

No comments: