Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why we have pets

I took Dogger back to the vet for her third electrolyte check and drum roll please : We don't have to go back for another electrolyte check for three months! Her electrolytes were perfect and the rest of her blood panel was equally wonderful! Her ratio this time was 30.8. The first time it was thirty even and the time before this was 31.0. The vet is just thrilled! She said every other time she has seen an AD dog they had to keep changing the dosage and messing around and it's very frustrating. I feel it's really a blessing that Dogger is doing so well and I am thankful every day.

We did have to add a smidge of pred to her routine after her last check, but that is very common and she's on so little, I figured it out, she's on a point or so less then 2/3s of a milligram a day something like point 73 and a half a day over seven days. A dose that low it doesn't cause any of the undesirable pred side effects she's suffered when she was on the higher doses - But it does effect her, she's got more energy and a lot more stamina then when she was on none at all.

And more Yay for Dogger! Our weight loss plan worked! She's lost three pounds through eating less and exercising more. She could still lose a pound or so more, so we aren't going to slack off yet but we don't have to feel obligated to walk in the rain either anymore. Go Dogger!

The Kitty on the other hand, can be a royal pain in the ass. For real. Boy cat works my nerves, and he does his best work between 1- 3am. He loves the night life, he's got to boogie. I do not love the night life I do not need to boogie.

This is irrelevant to The Kitty. The fact that I need my sleep does not factor into his plans. it doesn't matter when I happen to wake him up in the morning, he's going to go right back to sleep as soon as I leave, or even before if he can. I do get even with him though, he gets a half a pill every morning. He does not love this part of his day, never mind that it repeats every evening, he really hates that morning pill and he will do anything to avoid it. He now spends his mornings running and hiding and cursing me. Over the past few months he has really developed thing about taking his pill. He's been taking this pill twice a day every day for eighteen months? And suddenly I have to play hide and seek with him before I can leave for work in the morning.

This is where all that sleeping at night pays off. I am rested and ready to go, he on the other hand is tired from hopping around for eight hours and doesn't think as quick on his feet as he thinks he does. He also thinks he is invisible - Which a black cat hiding in an unlit room is certainly in the running for, but he forgets, he is too dark! The very dark thing resting on a kind of dark thing is going to stand out, even in the dark. I just look for the slowest moving black hole and make a dive for it. Usually, I miss, but that's when I pull out my secret weapon : Food.

The Kitty can not resist fresh kibble. It doesn't matter he just got up from a meal, new food is new food! There is nothing better than kibble right out of the container. That swill he hoovered up fifteen minutes ago was like an hour old! Survivor Man has nothing on The Kitty, Sure, he'll eat bugs and worms but has he ever tried stale kibble? I think not. Kitty is the man when it comes to bravely facing sub-par rations. He's really hard core.

But I always get him. So far. It's funny, he fights me tooth and nail in the morning but in the evening he submits right away. He's a weird guy. But, yesterday he redeemed himself. I woke up gradually, before my alarm went off, to the sound of song birds trilling in the tree outside my window and The Kitty purring back up in my ear. It was really nice. He pisses me off, wakes me up in the middle of the night and then he goes and pulls the baby kitty card. He's really good.

No comments: