Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Don’t trust anyone under 30

I was reading the paper this morning and read this Gen Y, spoiled and loving it! It’s a piece about how Gen Y are buying their first homes very young and what Yers want in these homes.

Gen Yer : No. I want a smaller space so it's easier to take off and go. A house that's low-maintenance is good. Generation Y traveled a lot in college and will continue to do so through life. So a big yard isn't a plus, either. All of ya’ll? A whole generation? All of ya’ll “traveled a lot in college? All of ya’ll went to college? The whole damn generation? Wow.

Gen Yer 2: No. I think that seeing so many of our generation's parents divorce makes us understand that family togetherness is important. So as we start having kids you will see us avoid homes with a living room, family room and finished basement rec room in favor of open-plan homes where the family can share space. Because ready access to privacy and personal space are totally why your parents got divorced.

Gen Yer 3: We want more and more change. My 60-something aunt wants to live in a Monticello-esque house because she makes a link to the noble founding of our country. My generation learned about Jefferson as the guy who had a bunch of illegitimate children with his slaves. We don't want to live in his house.. Sigh. When the PC home school. Yeah, a brick house is totally exploitive and wrong. I think I heard that chant at a march once, “No! Peace! No! Ionic! columns! Power to the People! Loft Conversions for All!

GenYer 4 : In the next 20 years a big backyard is going to move from asset to liability. Mention "acreage" and a 50-something hears "peaceful place away from the pressures of the city," while a 20-something hears "isolated maintenance nightmare." Laziness! I guess Gen Yers are living shoulder to shoulder to shoulder with their neighbors in homes with no person space to speak of, they'll just have settle for pocket pets and later, pocket kids.

Gen Y- The tooly-ist tools to ever tool.

To honor My Gen X superiority, I bought Washarama on CD today, good thing too, my fifteen year old audio tape was getting a fried from use, Itunes loss is their music publishers gain. Sucky Itunes! They call them selves a music source and they don’t have Don’t Be a Hippie for download? Who knew The Judy’s were a Texas band? I thought they played San Marcos all the time because they liked Southwest Texas State students. I didn’t have any idea they were from Austin. I should have known though, a band from outside Texas wouldn’t even known there was a San Marcos.

Have you been wondering how my garden has been going? Well, so far there are a lot of flowers, flowers that may be pre-eggplants and some flowers that feature a little swelling on the stem that I am choosing to see as the start of baby squash and not as possible bug infestation ... but not a lot of actual vegetables. If you want to see if this whole missing bee thing is real? Plant something and wait, there ain’t no bees, well, except for the ones who came and kissed my tomatoes. My tomatoes are doing very well. In fact one of them is a tree. I planted a tomato tree.

April 20



June 1

No comments: