Monday, June 2, 2008

Hot time, summer in the city

It’s hot. We’ve struck summer. It was spring and it’s now Summer. For real. June 1, summer landed. I turned my air conditioner on, I’ve given in and up. I turn myself over to the Gawds of summer. I want my jumbo box of Popsicles and I want it now, bring on the mindless summer block busters the pop music paeans to teen lurve. I accept it, I’m ready, I have my tank top on and I know where my bathing suit is.

This year the little animals didn’t bother petitioning for the a/c to go on, instead they did their best to become 2D. Sad, hot, flat, little animals.



Dogger casually mentioned that AD dogs don’t deal with heat very well and can have pant, pant problems with over heating but ya know pant, pant, it all goes back to those pesky electrolytes pant, pant and I can pant, pant turn that a/c on whenever I feel like it pant, pant since I, the human can sweat, not that she or The Kitty hold that against me, at all. Pant, pant. Have you ever seen a cat pant?

Now that it’s summer I can stop feeling like I need to get that lawn mowed right after church because by the time I get home, change clothes and get the mower out? Its noon and if you mow your lawn at noon over the summer, you mow by yourself because everyone else is inside. And if you are going to insist on being self righteous and using a push mower to mow your lawn at noon - Your teeny little yawn is going to morph into The King ranch. Last week? I mowed the same tiny patch which was then about the size of a regulation checker board in fifteen minutes, this week? An hour and a half and the size of the King Ranch. The self righteousness, it burns as it drips into your eyes and down your shirt and soaks your socks.

So now I am concentrating on inside chores. Laundry, teaching Dogger how to use a standard toilet, inservicesing The Kitty on how to navigate curtains and blinds since the drapes aren’t going to be open again until October - No natural light is welcome in my house until it can come in and offer warmth instead of heat.

Friday, before it was summer, I was driving to Home Depot, listening to the radio. The radio was saying that we’re all saving our money and putting off big purchases and in general pulling our belts tighter and doing without. I sat there and thought, Well, everyone but me!. I was on my way to buy my new dishwasher. I am alone propping up the economy, I think I deserve an ambassadorship to somewhere nice for my dedication to ‘Merica because despite the fact that I don’t need a new dishwasher, the old dishwasher still works, inefficiently and at great cost and waste of water - But it still works and someone else paid for it, once upon a time, about twenty years ago , I am buying a new one because I want a new one.

I had told myself way before Shrub sent out the bribe money, that if I ever did have some money fall on my head that I would replace the dishwasher with a new, more energy efficient model because like the new clothes washer, it is about being greener and using less. But still, it’s a lot of cash to drop in one place, especially while everyone else according to NPR, is planting gardens and doing their own sewing, churning butter and forcing the retail industry to barter with them.

And even more summer fun? It is officially the first week of Hurricane Season and we all ready know that they sea is angry, let us all hope that Myanmar was not just a aperitif.

No comments: