Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sunday the 13th
 

...my big activity for the day was to take Dogger for a walk and on our walk, she, I pray to God, just hurt one of her toes and the walk back home was kind of a nightmare.

Yeah. About that "toe". It wasn't her toe or her ankle or her hip. Dogger doesn't do things half way. She can't sprain something she has to blow her knee out which when it happens to Tiger Woods, she blew out her ACL.

The walk home Sunday night must have been tortuous for her but she did it for me. We were still close to the rec center when we passed an old woman sitting on a porch. This is a house where a lot of Doggers little kid friends live, I hope they didn't see us. The woman watched us struggle to cross the street and limp past her house and she said Our family will pray for you.

How did she know?

There isn't much good news to share. I took her to the vet and the vet called me later to tell me Dogger had suffered a Cruciate injury.  Prayer would be helpful.

There are possible solutions, the first is Do Nothing, site, which is essentially keeping the dog immobilized for six to eight weeks - You lock the dog in it's crate for six weeks.

Dogger  is still sedated and on  serious veterinary pain meds and she isn't completely conscience and she is all ready over her box. It's not a great solution but it is by far the cheapest. I kind of liked that solution. But more searching got me more sites and more opinions. Some said that this surgery was better than that procedure and then the next site said the procedure as all right, but the surgery was really the way to go.

They all agree that something has to be done.  My vet got back to me and gave me the name of the surgeon who takes care of this in the Raleigh area. That vets' office offers a credit plan that I have all ready been approved for - Which is nice because the surgery runs about $1700 and oh, by the way? Her other knee doesn't look great either.

Dogger and I was really looking forward to going to Marquette in the fall. I don't think we're going to make it.  Depending on what the vet tells me, Dogger will either be at the other end of her six week box sentence or be in recovery from the surgery. She and I have been crying together for two days.

No comments: