Monday, July 14, 2008

Two Strikes


Well that was kind of a waste.

It’s one thing to get not-much-accomplished one weekend but to do it two weekends in a row? That’s irresponsible.

Saturday? Saturday I did laundry and washed the dog. I gave her a bath in the yard, ya know just to shake things up a bit, and it’s easier to clean up afterwards. I’m like, “shake on you crazy diamond! Make a mess! Do your thing!”.

She was back in the house post bath, and I was in the yard picking up towels and collecting shampoo and a unmarked cop car came tearing down the street and into the driveway of the house across the street from me, where there was nothing. The unmarked seemed pissed and then tore too fast down the street and out of sight.

My plan had been to wash Dogger and take her for a walk. Bath taken care of it was time for the walk and Dogger and I got just past the end of our street when Dogger refused to go further, and of course she did this right in front of a family having a cook-out, so we had an audience. They said the reason the dog would not move was “all the cops down there” And I asked where the cops were, so I might be part of a crowd of on lookers. Dogger wouldn’t walk any futher though and I tried everything to get her to move, I dragged, I cajoled, I picked her up by her harness and carried her, but it was to no avail.

On our way home Dogger and I met up with a group of girls who told me the cops were there to “Pick this guy up but then he ran between these houses and got away” . Well, that told me why the unmarked was upset when he got to the neighbors house but if anyone had fled though there, they were more stealthy than the cop had been. (edit to add - I spoke with the cook out family again Sunday evening and they said the cops search included police dogs and they did find the guy.)

Later on I watched two episodes of a My First Place on TLC. The first episode was about a nice couple in Alaska, he’s a firefighter and she’s clerical worker and they had spent years burdened with medical bills and ultimately had to declare bankruptcy Years had passed and they wanted to buy their own home, which they now shared with two children, the wife’s very ill, very elderly mother as well as the wife’s sister and her baby. They had to work really hard and go through a lot of paper work and being yanked around but they finally got a house it wasn’t 100% what they wanted or needed but they were happy to have it. I liked them.

The second couple was from San Francisco and they wanted a nicer condo, one nearer to shops and restaurants all for $700,000 . They looked at fifty places before they found the “right” one. It’s just hard to feel  for people when their biggest issue for house hunting seems to be that the property they are looking at is not close enough to their favorite trendy bistro and “compromise” is defined as granite counter tops that do not match their china exactly. I hated them.

Sunday I went to Mass and then came home and was stricken for want of a better word with a headache so bad it made me want to die, well first, tear off my head then die. It was awful! Every time I moved I got nauseated and it was just too bright everywhere I went. I finally went upstairs and went to sleep and only after the nap did it go away and that kind of blew my day because it didn’t clear up until early evening and so my big activity for the day was to take Dogger for a walk and on our walk, she, I pray to God, just hurt one of her toes and the walk back home was kind of a nightmare.

No comments: