Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Facts of Life

"The Kitty" was his nom de blog but in real life his name was Tex and he died Monday afternoon around 4:15 pm. He was suffering from liver failure and I promised him when he came to live with me that I would never allow him to suffer. I wanted him to live forever, but he told me he was ready and I did my duty. The world and I will never know another cat like Tex. I loved him with all my heart and will for the rest of my life.


He lived an interesting life. He was sick off and on since kitten-hood but lived life to the fullest by throwing himself into hobbies such as smashing crockery, removing video tapes from shelves at 3am, taking framed posters off the walls and special time spent  alone with his Baby. If they had feline SATs he would have a perfect score. That intelligence was great for him, but it  can be a challenge living with an exceptionally smart animal. Was he smarter than a fifth grader? There were moments when he was he was smarter than a college graduate. He was a seasoned traveler having both flown and driven cross country numerous times. He tolerated air travel well but his first love was the highway. He genuinely liked car travel and only complained if the driver dipped below 65 MPH. He had a need for speed.

The Internet told me that while the average house cats live to be fifteen, my way, way, way above average baby only lived to see ten years, six months and four days. It is true that only the good die young.

12 weeks old, approxmitly
10 years, 6 months and 2 days
Tex Cat
August 1998 - January 5, 2009
Rest in Peace

2 comments:

Tony said...

Tex, don't let the wings fool you, Modean will still try to bite you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. We give our pets part of our hearts. When the pet goes, the heart hurts, because a piece of it is missing.