Monday, June 1, 2009

Whatever your bag is

I'm not happy with my purse. Its okay, it's seasonally appropriate but it has issues. It doesn't have issues, I have issues with it. The strap is too short, its too hard to get into and its a little small and I carried it last year. It's a knock off of a purse that was cool last year but isn't being carried this year so I need a new purse. Really.

In years past when it was time to go purse shopping I did my research to see what was popular, in, out whatever and then I looked online and cruised Ebay to see what was already  available and if there was anything vintage that could pass for Now. A "in' purse is an easy way to stay current without having to buy skinny jeans or pseudo maternity tops. Purse shopping also protects me from swim suit shopping - which I also thought about doing but it occurred to me that I had eaten solids with in the last seventy-two hours so trying on suits was out of the question. With purse shopping you can eat,  it takes a very bad purse to make you look fat. It's possible though, always check in a mirror before taking a purse home.

The wrong purse scrunches your sleeve weird, or it doesn't mess up your clothes but it hits in the wrong place or the zipper is dumb or its too hard to get into quickly or the clasp is badly engineered. There are a lot of things to think about when buying a purse. it is impossible to over think this, you have to look at all the angles and try to go down all the annoying places the wrong purse will take you. You must be ever vigilant when purse shopping.

Well, I didn't do my research. I just got a wild hair and decided to look at purses. I had heard that fringe was back and I thought that was intriguing. I like fringe. But I don't know. Tiny might also think fringe is intriguing and I may not want to go there and, I mean, fringe is usually leather and I see leather as being more of a cold weather purse, not really appropriate for summer. But, what if in general, it doesn't matter? I mean I see other women carrying leather purses year round and it doesn't seem to make them sweat more. The world at large is not carrying straw purses. If I were in charge of course, things would be different but it becomes clearer every day that I am not in charge.

So I looked at fringed purses and frankly, they were very cute. They were small though and I need a larger bag. So I kept looking and I found a large enough bag with fringe that seemed really nice, but I put it over my shoulder and it was just so heavy and leathery or more accuratly, pleathery and I just could not imagine carrying this thing through a hot parking lot. I can't do it.  I'm going to need something fabric or woven or and no matter what, no animal prints! I came so close last year to getting  a zebra bag and then I didn't and I'm glad I didn't because they are everywhere now and they aren't cute.

So I looked on. TJ Max does not have the largest selection. I was shocked too. So it was off to Kohl's where I found a better selection but they more expensive and the fringe was tacky. It was not cool.  I'm going to spend the next week doing my homework. I need to know what's in, what's out, the "right" colors, the "right" fabrics the right kind of bling. I'll find out what they're selling at Nostrum and Saks and then I'll see what they're selling at Ross and Marshall's, I'm not going back to TJ Max.

No comments: