Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Diana and The Ticket Shock

Over the weekend I went to a concert and that whetted my appetite for large scale group activities.  I'm not really into group activities, I have a satellite TV, an Ipod and an a Netflix membership, I never have to be in a crowd for any reason. Pop-culture comes to me. I've gotten rusty at "crowds" for instance, I almost killed the jackassi  who were planted in front of me at the concert the other night.  These people had personal bubbles the size of a four-person-tent. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure  they thought planting their chairs in the park gave them the mineral  and oil rights too. Byotches. I would hate to see how they would have behaved if they had actually had to pay for the concert.

These people needed a beating, while I did not administer the beating myself, a mosh pit broke out immediately next to them early in the show and they disappeared in a puff of outrage. I don't know what happened to them but they became gone and joy returned to the valley. I went to the concert because it was free and close by but in reality, I needed the group activity warm up because I'm going to see Harry Potter on Wednesday! That's right,  opening day babee! 7pm show! I'm too old and too employed to to the midnight show, but I think opening day is adequate. There is an energy to a full house that lends a huge amount of excitement that you can't get from Netflix or  a half empty matinee show a month and a half out at a dollar show.

I've been studying too. I read the book and then I read the last book and then I started over from the begging with books one and two. It sounds impressive but the first two books are pamphlets and if you really put your mind to it, the later tomes are quick reads.  I did all this re-reading because I couldn't remember a damn thing from Harry Potter and  the 500 pages of filler and I didn't think that was a good way to walk into the movie. Post read, I  can call the movie Harry Potter and The Relationship Drama without fear of reprisal. It was 500 pages of teenage dating angst and about 100 pages of actual plot. I mean, its really more than all that and when it's all over a lot has happened and things have changed and blah. blah blah and and all but while I was reading I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall. And then it did, right off the roof. Bang.

I think this was the book I ordered from Amazon and had shipped to Marquette so I could read it there. The postman did me a huge favor and brought it right to our door after he had finished his route. We had been gone when he came through the first time and he wasn't supposed to just leave it in the box and I would have had to wait until the next day to get it! That would not have worked at all, and he was really nice to go out of his way for me. I kind of think he didn't know there was an adult waiting for it, I think he may have thought he was being nice to a kid - Which is wonderful, but I bet if he knew who the recipient  was all old and everything,he would have let me wait.

 But there would have been nothing adult about the fit I would have pitched if I had had to wait.

So. I bought a ticket to the show. I've been Netflixing for a while now and I haven't seen a movie in the theatre since last summer when I saw Tropic Thunder - Kewl movie by the way, so I'm pretty psyched about seeing this. I had several theaters to pick from and I decided on the student-y theater.  It's oldish and interesting and closer to my house than the fancy, high-end gigaplex I thought about.  It''s still running me $8 and that came as a little shock. A big shock. I read where they renovated their big screen and its much nicer than it was but dayum! I'm not even going to look at the concession stand. I don't want to go into a coma before the movie starts, that would suck.

No comments: