Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Best laid plans

Before I left for vacation I made an appointment with my doctor for a my Yearly.  I don't love it, but the best way to stay a Well Woman is to make those Well Woman appointments every year to make sure you stay Well. Fine. I'm a grown up and I made the appointment months ago, I would have liked to get in or some time sooner than four months later but what can you do?  Much time passes.

It is now time for the appointment. I told my boss months ago and she scheduled my time off. I took the time off, it was a great day for it too. The boss was busy all morning and  she had my list ( a really short one!) ready when I walked in the door, I got all my daily tasks taken care of  and I felt good about leaving the fort.

I walked in the  doctors office door, early, thank you TomTom!  and went to check in and found out they had been looking for me on Monday! I don't make appointments on Monday's. Mondays are very bad for me at work. I wouldn't schedule anything on a Monday and I know I didn't schedule this. Apparently when the office person said September 15th she really meant September 14th, I heard the 15th and planned accordingly. It was really the fourteenth.

They couldn't get me in on the fifteenth and my doctor wasn't there anyway. Super.

I decided that since I have about seven houndred hours of accrued sick time, that even though I had no appointment that  I wasn't going back to work! Sacrilege. I looked at it as by the time I took lunch since I was starving after having been fasting all day for  non-existent blood work,  that I would go back to work for a total of two hours. I had worked very hard to make sure I got my whole day taken care of before I left, I didn't have anything I needed wanted to do back at my desk anyway so I played hooky. I went to  the nearby Whole Wallet and bought some relatively inexpensive maple syrup for my cookies and even found  something similar to the sugar topping the recipe calls for. I ate my lunch and then I went home. It was 2:30pm.

And my mail wasn't there yet. Monday it didn't arrive at all and I had left a Netflix envelope out so I knew the mail guy never got there. Speaking of mail, I found a box to send the dog cookies to my old friends' new puppy and I decided I was going to mail that and then go investigate my missing mail. I went to post office one and took care of my outgoing mail and then went to post office two to find out what happened with my incoming mail. No, I can't kill two birds with one stone. I could have but I just now put it together, I could have just gone to post office two, my "official" post office and took care of my mailing needs but I didn't do that.

Once at post office two and I was  told the man I needed was down the way. We spoke. I found out my mail route is mail route #9 and that Monday my mail guy was on the job and he didn't bring anything back with him, so maybe I just didn't get any mail. I said that wasn't the problem.  I had mail to post and it wasn't picked up and that was a problem. The guy agreed. He said Monday should have been no problem, today I might have a problem because the "route had been split and is being taken care of by several different carriers". Super, I said. I told the man I just wanted to tattle on his guy and by the way the street has had problems with mail being mis-delivered lately.

When I got back home I still didn't have my mail.

Not being at work is so nice. I got my errands run, I watered the front flowers, picked some peppers, washed the dog and her bedding, and vacuumed her room, emptied and filled the dishwasher and  tattled in the mail guy. I think I still got a good days work

No comments: