Thursday, September 17, 2009

Living

It felt like the day was wearing a wool sweater. It never got light and the air weighed about three tons. I had a headache all day long. I did, however, ride my bike at lunch for the first time since before vacation and it felt great.

Dogger seemed to like it all right too, we went on three walks and she bounded right along. I never know with humid days whether they they are going to bother her or not, I think it depends on how damp it is. Humid and warm and she's okay, humid and cool and she limps. I noticed over vacation where it was cooler and damper than it is here she had some problems with her joints that she didn't have here,I had some pain meds with me from the surgeon those days but I think I'm going to need a different solution for the winter so she doesn't become drug dependent. I could see her bypassing begging at the table to full on panhandling at corners. A canine junkie. Do you think they have veterinary methadone clinics?

But I do need to get the wheels moving on getting her some pain management before we enter winter and Dogger develops pain that needs to be managed.  I don't want her in pain and the added stress that pain brings to her system isn't good for her Addison's. I need to speak to her regular vet and get Dogger in there for a visit and see what she thinks.

I'm pretty sure that Dogger has arthritis in both knees and maybe her one hip and I'm going to ask if the vet would suggest that we start her on.  I'm hoping she gives her okay for doggy or even human Glucosamine or Chondroitin or something like them,  I all ready know that Addison dogs can take those because they have been mentioned on the otherwise alarmist Addison dogs yahoo site and they see death and  potential Addison's Crisis around ever corner. Their poor dogs can't bark at the postman without being rushed to the vet for an emergency electrolyte test. I feel bad for their dogs, because they have people that won't let them be dogs.

The ortho dogs site people have fewer neuroses and more fragile dogs and yet those people let their dogs be dogs.  It seems to be a battle between being the struggle to keep your dog alive and the courage to let the dog live. Poor Dogger is both medically and physically fragile, but shhh, don't tell her, she thinks she's Wonder Dog.

No comments: