Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Food for Thought

Do you know why the Marie Calenders  instant chocolate chip cookies were only $2 at Big Lotts? Because they suck. A huge amount. They are really, really not good and I'm pretty sure the instructions are wrong, okay, I'm sure the instructions are wrong. Just say No to Marie Calenders instant chocolate chip cookie mix. It was at Big Lotts for $2 for a reason.

Also? Did you know there is no TV on Tuesday night?! I mean,. for real. There is nothing on Tuesday nights, the programing people at the networks must have some sort of group hysteria or they were hypnotised or something because there is nothing on TV. Nine solid hours of test pattern, actually twelve if you count FAUX and , God, fifteen if you count whatever is The WB now. It's sad, it really is.

I had time to watch the stuff I have DVRed and thank gawd for the DVR.  Modern technology is indeed miraculous. I watched the first two episodes of Community and that was um, scripted television. Love Scripted Television. Love . It.  I'm glad I DVRed it. Totally. I like the guy from Talk Soup, a show I DVR sometimes when I remember to and it has Chevy Chase and a guy from The Daily Show and another girl I think was in a tampon commercial and the lady who plays a DA or something on Bones. A cast, yup, quite a cast.

I did like it though, it made me think of my halcyon days at Junior College and how little of it I actually remember. I do remember that I took English I and one semester the instructor was a Lawyer who was trying out this teaching gig and one day he announced we were going to have someone come in to observe and so he made us read "Death of a Salesman" and then broke us into groups and he assigned each group a character from the show and had us do character analysis of them. And then the observer came in a few group agave their little presentations and then the observer left and we never talked about "Death of a Salesman" again. Ever. It wasn't even on the final.

I also took another class where the instructor gave the same exact lecture two days in a row. Word for word and it took parts of the class almost the whole hour to figure it out. That instructor also said "um or uh" hundreds of times in an hour. I counted.

In another class, possibly a different semester of English I, another group and I wrote a paper about women's prisons - If you are a woman, never, ever, ever do anything bad because you will end up in a women's prison and they are horrible places. Women serve longer sentences then men do for the same crime and they don't get weight rooms or half way decent law libraries and everyone rapes them. Everyone. And no one cares about them because they are Bad Girls and society hates bad girls.

Oh. And over the weekend I bought a rake. The really neat ergonomic rake I wanted is no longer in fashion and is apparently "Soooo 2004" and why did I even bother looking for one because  "everyone" knows that what is in now are adjustable metal rakes or these groovy plastic rakes with new and improved tines that don't get clogged. My rake is not one of the above but it does feature a padded handle and that ergos my nomics.

No comments: