Thursday, October 29, 2009

Walk on by

It was such a nice day. When you got passed the weird sauna effect we had going on. I looked out the window in the morning and it looked like we had zero visibility and then I opened the doors and got blown back by the heat.

The rest of the day was nice though, the sun came out. I had to pull out my sunglasses and everything, I had just about put them away for the season. Surprise. Dogger even agreed to go for a longer walk this morning than she has since it had gotten cooler. I can see our morning walks becoming a bit of a trial as it gets cooler but with the time changing the mornings might be her longest walk of the day. She's going to have to tough it out, and she doesn't seem sore in the morning so its not because the cold is hurting her, she's just really interested in her breakfast all of a sudden for some reason and does not want to go for a longer walk. I would walk her after breakfast but then I would have to get up even earlier and I don't want to. I get up really early as it is now and I'm pretty much at my limit for early rising.

Maybe I'll look for a doggy treadmill for Miss Dogger before the winter sets in. I'll have my exerbike and she'll have her treadmill. We can not exercise together.

Speaking of daily walks, on our afternoon walk, I saw five other people walking their dogs. I always get a warm feeling when see other people out with their dogs. Including the guy whose two little yellow dogs normally follow him like ducklings, I guess he decided that cute isn't safe. They were cute as hell though, following him down the sidewalk. I see so many dogs stuck in backyards or on chains that it really makes me happy to see a happy dog out on a walk. I also like not being the only person walking their dog. It can be lonely. I feel like a freak sometimes.

Freak no more now. I have found my people.

On our walk Tuesday, I saw the girl with the bloodhound from down the block and now she has two of the dogs. I told her she clearly didn't want anyone coming near her house. Those dogs are big and loud and they will run someone to ground, I wouldn't mess with them. She has two girls and neither of them have jobs. I've known three over the years and none of them are professional bloodhounds. I know they aren't all hardcore but jeez, couldn't they have hobbies or something? What do you do to keep those dogs busy? Shouldn't they be out searching or being scent hounds? Dogger barely seems to remember what Tiny smells like from day to day and walking her can be a trial because she must sniff everything she sees. I would imagine that walking a bloodhound would be an all day affair even if it had a head cold and a hangover. Dogger likes to sniff everything and she doesn't even know what it is she's smelling, a bloodhound would be able to give you the family tree and the genus of whatever species of squirrel it was tracking and where it slept last night and what it ate a week ago and who its hanging out with.

And this girl has two of them. I did notice that she was walking them down the middle of the street and avoiding the odor laden grass in the park. I guess she wanted to get to bed before midnight. I don't blame her.

No comments: