Monday, January 11, 2010

Here we go again.

Friday night I decided that I wanted to do something nice for Dogger. I decided that I was going to get her a new and improved E-Collar because I know she hates wearing hers and I thought it would be easy to go and fine a clear one that she could see through. The E-Collar that the vet supplies is opaque white plastic and pretty much like a huge horse blinder and I also think it effects her sense of hearing as well so while she's wearing it she's effectively Helen Keller Dog.

It wouldn't be that big a deal to Dogger or myself, but when she had her initial surgery, she ended up wearing one of the awful things for a month and that was about three weeks longer than she or I was happy with. So far, her incision looks really good but she's still on ABT and those only go for another two days. Last April her leg got infected the day after her two week appointment and the end of the antibiotic therapy. I think the wound looks good but what do I know.

I live near not one but two big box pet supply places. I thought if one couldn't help me the other could. Well, place one didn't have what I wanted and they wanted a lot of money! I'm there for a half a sheet of plastic and they wanted $24!  I was floored, I've never been in the market for one before and I thought for some reason that a half a piece of plastic wasn't going to be a big investment. I was thinking more along the lines of $8 tops, I might be up for a larger investment in one of the fancy e-collars, one of the inflatable numbers for example, now those are investment quality e-collars.

Now that's class

It looks more comfortable, it doesn't block her vision and I bet it doesn't mess with her antenna either. I am a little concerned about how she would sleep with that on, but I bet she would adjust. These fancy collars aren't any more expensive then the plastic ones - That is at Petco, at Petco the sheets of plastic were at least five dollars more than the same product at Petsmart. Same exact thing, same vendor, everything and there was a $5 difference. Neither place had the fancy collars for any price,  both places just had the plastic versions and Wallyworld didn't sell them at all.

Both places wanted to sell me pink and green e-collars. They did not want to sell me clear collars Why? I mean what does the dog care? Was there a study that said that dogs wearing e-collars did better in a pink or green environment? My dog would do better in a world she could actually see. I hate watching her bump herself into the futon and door ways. It makes me sad and I know it doesn't make her happy either. I don't think seeing the world through a rose colored e-collar would be make her happy.

Tomorrow, I hit another Petsmart.

Hey! Happy Binary Day!!

No comments: