Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jumping off point

This weeks every-ones-jumping-off-the-roof meme on Facebook is to change your picture to one from your past. I replaced mine with one taken when I was five. I was very cute and there were comments that my five year old self looks  like my niece or rather that she looks like me but I don't see it. I think its more that we have the same haircut. She is either really embracing retro style or I was way, way, way ahead of my time.

The other meme I've seen this week is to take a sentence from X page of a book you are reading and use it as your  status. It says that you aren't to cherry pick a cool book or search for a good passage but I think I'm totally going to cherry pick. In real life I'm reading a pulpy, mass market paperback and I don't think it would be cool enough. I'm just going to claim that I have much better taste than I actually do. They don't need to know that I like pulpy, mass market paperbacks or that I read a lot of them.

Do you know why I read pulpy, mass market paperbacks? Because I get calls like this:

X - I have a question.
Me - Okay. About?
X - Abortions?
Me - What?
X - How do they do abortions?
Me - Do you have a complaint about a facility that performed an abortion?
X - No, I don't have a complaint. I just want to know how they do them.
Me - Abortions?
X - Yeah.  How do they do it?

Well, first a Mommy and  a Daddy let things get out of hand...

I don't remember how I got him off the phone. If I had been feeling very hateful I would have said You know? That sounds like a question for a nurse and I know just the nurse to send you to!, because I have a nurse who would swollow her tounge if someone asked her that...but I was too chicken to do it and technically it was an Acute Care question and in reality, according to the rules I am supposed to send questions to the group that handles those facilities so... but I think they would would feel obligated to tell my boss and I'm sure I would hear about it. At length. Even if technically it was a question for them.  I'm sure that arguing technicalities would be the way to go there. I think I just told him we couldn't help him and that if he did have a complaint about health-care received at a facility that he should call back. Gawd.

Great lit-er-a-ture doesn't work to fix that. You really need a good, pulpy, mass market paperback.

No comments: