Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Victory over the forces of evil!

Okay, victory over the forces of evil malfunctioning winter coat zippers, but still a victory over evil.

It was just evil.  The coat and its zipper were fine, everything  was working well and there was this really nice spirit of co-operation going on. I was thinking of buying it something nice. It was kind of sweet when I look back on it. Anyway, I had to go to the store because today was Girl Scout Cookie day and my single box of cookies came with it and I had no cash money and I want my cookies. I went to the store  because to to buy vegetables ( to make up for the cookies), because I'm good that way and I had to get cash to get my cookies out of hock.

Okay. So when we went to the store not an hour earlier, the zipper worked and then when Dogger demanded her evening walk, out of nowhere the zipper wouldn't work! It would latch and when it did finally latch, the zipper kept coming apart and getting all snagged and ugly. I felt really betrayed because I thought that if it was unhappy that it would have said something before it lashed out like that! I thought I was open with it, I thought we agreed to talk about problems before they blew up into tantrums like this.

Fortunately, I have another winter coat that still likes me and I was able to take it for the walk with Dogger. I left my other coat at home to stew and to see how it liked being a cat bed. I believe in trying out options and leaving yourself open to new things and for Coat, if the whole being-a-coat thing doesn't work out, it can feel free to explore its other possibilities and its future as a potential cat bed

 I came home and decided that I wasn't ready to surrender my coat to the cat without a fight. I've lost coats to evil zippers before and I wanted to do what I could to help keep the situation from snow-balling. I don't like getting into stare downs with coat zippers and once they bring you to tears the balance of power is totally blown and the zipper holds all the cards and then  the zipper goes on a power trip and the next thing you know the house is decorated in early leather fetish and you're stuck listening to German house music. Zippers have terrible taste in music and home decor. But what can you do, the balance of power has been disturbed and the closet lights have all ready been replaced with glow sticks.

So. I went to the basement and I came back armed. Once upon a time I had to buy a six-and-a-half-inch adjustable crescent wrench for a class but I never used it except to cause damage to the college laundry facilities. Do you know what my eighteen year old six-and-a-half-inch adjustable crescent wrench is actually good for?  Reconstructive surgery and attitude adjustment  on a zipper. I did do better in costuming than I ever did in stagecraft.

No comments: