Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ms. Break - It

I am mono-tasking while this because over the weekend I did "something" to my DVR ( which puts the multi- in my tasking). It wasn't my fault, I didn't do anything "wrong", well maybe a little wrong. after the fact.

Once upon a time  I said to myself if Gawd wanted me to have a bigger TV He would drop one on my head ...  and then He Did!  while Gawd does not want me to have a flat screen he does want me to have a bigger TV. Alphagal and Broskey got a great  big shiny new TV and the offered me their smaller, slightly less shiny old TV. And I said I have enough TVs. I don't need another TV and then I asked exactly how large this new -to-me TV was. I suddenly "needed" another TV.

I have help moving this colossus  (Hi Dad!) then I unplug all the various coaxial cable from small TV and re-attach them to Big TV. This is not hard. And then I turn on Big TV. Suddenly everything is hard. Very hard. There is no picture! There is no sound! There is snow and awful snow noise. This will not do. I get to work. I am a modern woman, I live in my time and there is little that a coaxial cable can do to scare me.

The big TV simple will not speak with the remote. I press buttons, I think I'm speaking with  the right menu - Which I am not, I wait for the satellite to speak with the receiver and they are not speaking. I don't know how this is happening because I have three other TVs and they are all speaking with the satellite. If there was to be a problem speaking the satellite none of the TVs would be on speaking terms, not just one. There are out of necessity, of one mind.

It is as I study the receiver that I notice it is different from the other receivers. It says "Direct TV" on it. I do not have Direct TV. I have Dish. This is a problem. It is at this point that I decided that this is simply not happening and I need to "fix" this. The fix being that I will shift back to the small TV and everything will be normal again. Or not. The remote will speak to the TV but the  receiver will not. This is not a good thing, this is a bad thing.  But I can watch TV at last in the office so I can over look this. I will also call the service people who will come out and fix this.

Monday morning I called them and they wanted to "talk me through it, trouble shoot the problem". I told them I was away from my TV and I didn't want to be talked through or engage in trouble shooting. I want a service call and I want a human being who is not me to fix this problem and it is a big problem because the receiver that is supposed to be in the office is in the guest room and  there is no Dish receiver in the office and then  I came home from work and  did my own trouble shooting  and pressed more buttons and now I can't watch TV in the office at all.

No comments: