Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Garden Update 9, 2010

We have  tiny produce! And for once, we don't do have limited pictures of the tiny produce and aren't they are adorable!



Thus far I have four or five perfect little tomato-ettes! Not all the plants are producing and they don't all even have blooms yet, but everyone is tall and green and strong - and they got this way over night, I wish I had paid more attention the day before because two of the plants are all ready very disobediently climbing and reaching outside their cages and this is not allowed. I am not the tomato plant dom I thought I was turning into. Clearly, someone who is not me needs to be disciplined with stakes and garden tape.





The peppers, also not pictured individually are growing and developing. No baby peppers yet but we do have blooms and that is making me hopeful and getting my hopes up. It would be better for me just to avert my eyes until say, July if I really expect to see anything. Peppers are a long haul plant.

The green beans are doing well for such small plants! They are just itty and they are going gang busters. I am learning something though,  I did some veggie reading and I saw some reference to some growers experience that is it is not a good idea to grow beans with tomatoes and I think they are right. My beans grown away from the tomatoes are doing very well, my beans growing with the tomatoes are not doing very much at all. I thought it was an old farmers tale and it turns out its true. The source didn't know why the plants don't do well when grown together but they really don't. It does not seem to be a shade thing because the same plants loom over the beans that grow well, I think it has something to do with whatever the tomatoes pump into the soil. I think its a way to keep the competition down. It's working.

My Experimental tomato has its own tiny offspring and is growing along at the same rate as its in-ground cousins.That experiment is succeeding, the Experimental pepper is not being successful, I even moved it from the sun to shadier location hoping that this would kick start it but thus far I don't see any change. I have noticed that it has grown more leaves but the other peppers have grown inches and  blooms and this little guy is static.

The seed flowers are finally behaving like growing things! My not-Queen Anne's Lace is looking very much like NQA, except its not blooming yet and doesn't seem as butch as a real QAL - because it's not QA. Anyway, its growing and its tall and sways. There are two others that are making steps into the right direction but so far they have only produced pretty leaves. I'm pretty, I'm good with this.

The raspberry plants are continuing to be stand out performers. Oh! and I forgot! I have volunteers! and they may be volunteer pumpkins left over from last years jack-o-lantern! I don't believe that the market fruits are actually fertile and it in all likelihood will not produce its own young, but wouldn't that be kewl? And if nothing else I'll get a nice vine. and if it wants, it can climb up the little fence around the deck. Score!


No comments: