Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday

A day at the beach

Mowing your own yard in the heat makes you aprciate the wisdom of the people who pay others to do this for them.

I got a new bike. Well, not a "new" new bike but a new bike new to... well. Its not even a new bike to me. Its my old bike but we're been living apart for the past few years because you know, I drive now. This is the bike I took with me to college, I never rode it but it went everywhere with me. This is the bike I bought with insurance money after my house burned down and took my  last bike with it - totally broke my heart too as that bike was the bike I bought with the earnings from my first job. Clearly, I earned almost nothing and I spent it all on a bike.

 And its not the kewl vintage bike I was wanting, but it is a vintage bike, I bought it in 1989 and it is older than most of the cast of Harry Potter so that alone should render it "vintage" by any standard. Its very plain, very black and looks like a bike even a Mennonite would think needed a little tarting up.  It doesn't have the neato white walls and fat tires I thought were kewl and it doesn't have the chain guard or a fancy paint job or any of the fancy extras I thought I wanted but maybe, this can be Bat Bike. I can be hipper than the hipsters. I can think of it as the skinny black jeans of bikes.

No comments: