Monday, June 14, 2010

I was a very good girl this weekend.

That sound you heard on Saturday was my neighbors cheering because I finally, finally edged my front yard! Woo! It looks so much nicer now, like someone lives there. It was a bitch to do though and Saturday was not the coolest day of the summer thus far. My edger also is a little quirky, in that every two and a half feet or so I had to turn it off and pull it apart and re-string the  wire in the whacker.

 It only took two or three episodes of turning off the whacker, flipping it over, struggling to dislodge the insert, yanking the wire, untangling the wire, restringing the wire and then struggling  to re-lodge the insert, flip the whacker back over, get standing up again and going back to my chore,  before I learned that turning off the whacker, flipping it over, struggling to dislodge the insert, yanking the wire, untangling the wire, restringing the wire and then struggling to re-lodge the insert, in the shade made me want to faint less than just fixing it under the sun where it snapped.  I'm really good at the whole  dislodging /yanking/untangling/re-stringing of the whacker now.

While I was out there I also edged along the front walk and it looks a lot nicer too. I mowed the yard again Friday night so I could get it before it hit maximum density again, once the yard really needs to be mowed its really too much work to mow. I really love my manual mower but damn does it require an unflinching dedication to duty that I don't remember being an issue with my gas mower. I might have to get it on a twice a week mowing schedule if I want to prevent a repeat of  Apocalypse Mow experience from last week.

I learned my lesson the hard way.

I also did my laundry, bonded and did work with both gardens and made meat loaf - a really good meat loaf! I was reading The White Trash Cook Book, yes, The White Trash Cook Book and I saw a meat loaf recipe that included chopped peppers, onions and celery and I thought Hmm.That looks good... My peppers aren't ready and I didn't plant onion or celery, but, I can go to the store and get some neato frozen soup starter  instead and that would be way cool! And it was! I thought I ruined it by accidentally adding a sizable jolt of soy sauce instead of a quick few drops but it turned out okay and the meat loaf was a success. Which is good because I made a lot of meat loaf. And no, it doesn't have any squirrel or possum meat included. I substituted ground round. My ghetto fabulous Kroger sells an incredible depth and variety of pig parts but is a little light on the squirrel and turtle and possum parts, perhaps if I was too spend more time loitering in the WTCB  I would need to find a Kroger in North Raleigh.

Oh! Something else I did Friday night! I got my final curtain panel for my living room! Woo! I've only been playing with this mess since May 15. I don't really feel like talking to Wally World about my Drapery Odyssey  because I don't think I have anything really constructive to say to them about the whole drawn out process that would be helpful to them and healing to me.

 I've chosen to laugh about it instead of firebombing  - because I have thought about it. A lot and I couldn't come up with a  nice way of suggesting to them that they perhaps do not charge a sheltered workshop with the responsibility of packing their site-to-store items because it after took four tries to get it right!  and that goes over the line  We are doing our best and trying real hard! to We don't care. I  was also slightly bothered that every time I ordered the exact same item over the month it was priced differently and it was drapes and not you know,  a volatile commodity like petroleum or gold or gulf coast shrimp.

Bah.

No comments: