Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sleep Study

I think I might have figured out the whole uncontrolled napping phenomena and why this doesn't happen in the winter months. I think its about exposure to the heat.

Today for example, I crashed hard. Out like a light. it was very hot today and I spent a lot of time out in it. I think this was a bad idea. It started at lunch.

I wanted to go to the demonstration downtown about the bigots on the Wake County school boards desire to set Wake County Schools back to where they were circa Jim Crow - and thus far they are succeeding. If Hillary had won, instead of this surge of racism, would there have been  a surge of anti-woman sentiment? If she had won would this be happening to me?

Anyway, I really, really wanted to be a part of the demonstration.  I've moved heaven and hell to go to Washington when I want to get my march on, I should do the same when I hardly have to move myself to do so. My biggest mistake was to not take into consideration that when I go to DC I do not have to think about parking... There isn't any parking in downtown Raleigh even under normal circumstance, add a few thousand extra cars to the mix there is really no parking in downtown. I drove and drove and drove all over downtown. I could not find a place. I was frantic.

Finally, finally I found somewhere to leave the car. I even paid for it and I hate paying to park. Its wrong. Anyway, I had to get back to work and all the people I was running into were going the wrong way. I held out hope.

I arrived at the staging point to find it being town down.

Fortunately there was an older man there and I was able to ask him about the demonstration and get his take on it. He said it went very well, the speakers were moving and the crowd was large and well behaved. He had a wonderful, empowering experience but now it was really hot and he wanted to get out of the heat.

I let him go and turned back and it took me about three steps to ask myself: Where is my car? Where was my car. I was frantic when I left it and hadn't really paid any attention about where I was. I knew I was A) a long way from downtown and B) in parking spot #208. I started walking and walking and walking and nothing was familiar. I headed back to where the march was and started looking for help.

I found a cop. The cop told me he was a sheriff's deputy and he didn't do traffic. He suggested I run after the lady in the red shirt, a kind of  downtown courtesy clerk and she could help me. Well, God Bless the lady in the red shirt. She knew what the parking space numbers meant and where my car was and she walked me there. I called my boss to let her know I was going to be tardy and I went back to work. I had  been in the heat for a while.

I was hot. Very hot. And I spent the day feeling really thirsty and  off. After work, still not having enough of the oppressive heat, I went to the farmers market and picked up some vegetables, I also decided I would need to hit the grocery because now that I had my veggies I would need some meat to go with them. I went home and took dogger out and fed her and then hit the grocery. I came back home and made a really good meal and then I cleaned up and then I noticed it was really windy outside. I took Dogger outside and we enjoyed the wind and the thunder and watched some very violent lightening in the distance. And then we went inside and I watched some TV...

...And fell asleep. I woke up at a quarter to nine wondering what happened. I think what happened is I was out in the heat too long and it was not good for me. Lesson learned, less time I spend in the heat the more time I can stay conscious.

No comments: