Monday, January 24, 2011

The first step

Have you ever messed up something on the stove so thoroughly that you felt the need to apologize to the pan you used? Wow.

The potato Gawds smiled one me again! After a number of conversations with the barrel guy I finally picked mine up. I had my doubts about finding the place as the original directions were wrong, thank you barrel guy! Where I was confused, Mr. GPS plowed straight through and decided that barrel guy had misspoke himself and plotted a map to where he most likely really lived. Tada! It wasn't "Wake" something it was "Lake" something!

It was off the map though. I had no idea that there was so much there out there and it went on and on and on and I started to wonder how much I really need this barrel. I was afraid I was entering the realm of rest stops and if I should be have brought something to drink with me.

I had worried that I was going to drive off the end of the world and once there I was going to end up married off to some redneck while the soundtrack to Deliverance played in the background. I mean any directions that have the words "next to the double wide" and "turn right at the double wide" do not bode well. Too many double wides, too few witnesses.

As it ended up there were no forced marriages and no rednecks. I drove up to the address and per intructions, called the barrel guy and he said to  just leave the money under the rock on the porch. You know you are way, way out of your element when you are directed to just leave the cash on the porch and then you do it.

I had brought Dogger with me, as protection and company and she was not sure what to do with this new passenger in the car. She looked at me a little funny but she seemed okay with it, I think she was just happy she didn't have to ride in the front with me - which she might have had to if I had brought more money with me because he has some very nice barrels, it made me think Maybe I could plant more potatoes! Different varieties! What else could I plant in a barrel? But, I had money for the one and that was all. Its about portion control.


Isn't it pretty? I'm not sure if the picture does it justice, but that's 60 gallons of  potato growing joy. I lurve it! I lurve it so much I totally forgive it for making my car and basement  reek of smell like pickles. Now I have to decide if I'm going to cut it in half or just cut the bottom off and then where is it going to go? On the side of the house? in the garden itself?  What kind of potatoes am I going to plant? Do I want another one?

No comments: