Friday, May 27, 2011

Hot

I came home form work, checked out my plants - Discovered that the blooms on pumpkins have no shelf life whatsoever. They budded, bloomed and wilted in about twelve hours. Kind of romantic, I guess, if you think of things that die young as romantic. I hope this doesn't speak badly for their ability to produce and support strong fruits, I don't know. I don't know anything about them and all the literature says "plant them, water them, weed them, pick pests off them, harvest them" . Nothing about time lines or case studies or anything useful. I want instructions!

Have I mentioned its hot? I have lived here too long. I used to be able to take all the heat and ask for more. Now? Now I am much better at being cold. Take Dogger for a walk in the dark and the bitter cold? Three times a day? I am so up for it! Ride the exerbike? I am there! Everything is so much easier. Now? I'm hot and I don't want to do anything.

After I visited with my plants, I took Dogger to pee, fed her and let her have a cookie and fed myself an appetizer/ left overs.  I thought about what else I could eat for dinner. I checked out my larder and realized that everything I had to eat needed to be exposed to heat, which is not what I'm looking for, I do not want to be exposed to heat. You can gnaw on a frozen chicken breast all you want, it is not going to morph into something you want to eat so I thought it would be a good idea to think about it a bit. I thought about it while  I watched some TV. I was so deep in thought I heard  not one but two sirens peter out close by. I was too hot to even get up and look out the window to see if anyone I knew had fallen out.

I finally looked at the clock and decided I needed to get serious about feeding myself and to be not sleeping in front of the TV. It was not cooler. I also knew it was time to take Dogger for her walk. She had been very patient. Fortunately, Dogger does not love the heat either and she happily took care of business as quickly as possible. I thought about what food I could get that would keep me out of the heat. I ended up driving across the street for some chicken. You let someone else cook chicken  and its magically food you want to eat.

No comments: