Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Update

Okay. I got on the propping up project. I lucked out at Poverty Barn and found what I was looking for after only three or four false starts - which is fine on a Saturday but over lunch hour is a little bit more of a time killer than I was hopeing for. They tried to make me believe that it was too late in the season for garden fences but I persevered.


It was not as easy as I thought it would be to get the fences in place. I needed more than anything was a wire cutter. DO you know how many things in your average tool chest look like wire cutters? Just about everything, do you know what works like wire cutters? Just about nothing. Pliers are not wire cutters - they look like wire cutters, they feel like wire cutters but they aren't wire cutters.

Do you know which pliers you need for a given job? All of them. If you have five of them you will have to put your hands on all of them and do you know which of them will do the job? The wire cutters.

Okay. After I wanted to strangle myself with the fence-lings, I went to look on baby pictures.

We went from



On March 2, there are four seed potatoes in each barrel,  to



On May 16. The white arrows point to the fence-lings. I'm not completely sold that this was the best solution but I think its better than letting them collapse under their own weight. The best possible solution would be to add more dirt to support the stalks and at the same time make more room for more potaotos. I have no more room for more dirt.

 I could try to figure out a way to do that but I'm not sure it would be worth the out lay of energy. I'll know more about how to weigh that after I see how many potaotos I get this time. If I get a lot, I can say "Okay, I got XXX amount of spuds this year, next year I'm willing to do this much more amount more work and investment". At the same time, if I get diddly spuds, I can say "Yeah. Diddly. This was fun, but... Next year maybe I'll do something different with the spuds, maybe get another barrel and not cut it in two." I can  keep experimenting to where I can get a good harvest. I can plant them twice a year, I have time to learn how to do it right.

No comments: