Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Holding Up

I have a garden question.

I have these very healthy, very happy, very well developed potato plants in containers. They are hail and hearty.

But.

They are very tall and in the garden world, tallness begets  failure.  I want to support the plants but I don't want to fence them off from contact with me They all ready take up quite a bit of space as it is and I'm afraid that supports would make them even more unwieldy. I would shift the one plant but its only slightly less heavy than the tree trunks that I can only manage to rock back and forth. I need to do more than rock it back and forth, and when I tried, it refused to budge much less rock I think I need to turn it around so the tall parts can be supported by the neighboring wall.

Or

Or I could construct a system of braces around the plant, like a very big, very fat, tomaoto cage - I would use bamboo poles and bird mesh to hold up and back the branches, or instead of the hated mesh, I could use simple garden tape and just belt them up or make a girdle if the belt wasn't  offering enough support - because it might be too sharp and not offer the right kind of support.

But how am I going to make a girdle for a plant? Does spanks have some here to for unpublicized garden product line I don't know about? Spanks, tightness, control, width, elastic... How about pantie hose! Gentle yet, supportive, wide enough, long enough, soft enough! Cheap!

I could put the pantie part in the back - I don't want to cut them because that way leads to runners and weakness and I need them whole and strong... But how to turn them into a fenceing solution? This may prove to be too involved and  the less elegant choices would not be pretty, and even a certifiably elegant solution could end up bordering on the artsy. I like artsy garden solutions, usually but this is the Front Yard and perhaps artsy solutions are not the right choice for the surroundings

While I was (over) thinking my fencing/support choices, I started to think about actual fencing. They sell lots of smallish, shortish, easily malleable, garden fenceing products. They sell them at the dollar stores as border fences! Cheap, plastic-y little fence-lings that could be what I am thinking about. They stand maybe six inches tall and are suitable bendy -  and I could make them work in the  given situation. They are cheap, easy to get, easy to put into service, reasonably pliable, gentle enough and even better, attractive enough for the surroundings. Ta da!

No comments: