Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Watermelons and Peppers

So, I know you are asking yourself about how my watermelons are doing. I'm sure that you find your thoughts drifting that way at the oddest times. I, too, am entranced by my melons.

Let us go back in time...

That was then

This is now*, "now" minus two days.


That  was in a week! They went from babies to toddlers in a week. So far, so good. I am really excited about these new developments.

Speaking of new developments



Another new melon! Its very close to melon #1, which hasn't grown in oh, way too long, so I'm a little apprehensive about the future of his little neighbor.


Its very cute and everything and it appears healthy, but its not growing. I am learning that watermelons grow a lot and fast and this guy did grow and fast but then it stopped. I don't think stopping is a healthy sign of development. I got some fertilizer and zapped the plants with a good dose the other day, so I am hopeing maybe it just needed a nudge in the right direction.


Speaking of growing in the right direction. This guy is feeling a little squished, its such a problem for it, its started climbing the walls.



I've been trying to retrain vines I find doing this because as pretty as a vine is, it gets real un-pretty real fast if that fence is having to support  a potentially twenty pound watermelon, or even a melon of just two-or three pounds. Thus far it hasn't been a real problem but...



More and more are actually taking and growing, this could become an issue - or not, most of the beans die on the vine. If it does take off, I will find away to make it work. I have read about using pantie-hose as a support for larger fruits and I think this is a good idea. It would be so awesome to get to try it out.


Other plant just keeps on keeping on. It has a lot more room to spread out. It is going to start hugging the shed soon and is making in roads into the yard.. Its all ready tried to go to the basement but I've been trying to keep on top of that because I don't want them to get forgotten down there.


Speaking of  "then" and "now"

"Now" we have above, "then" in the big garden



I added the third plant later but by the time I got it in the others had taken up a lot of room. This does help me see that the first melon was from the "new" plant. The plant in the lower left is not doing very well at present, but the other two are perking along. I think the plant on the upper right is the one climbing the fence, the "new" plant is the one that escaped the bed and moved into the yard.

Satellite plant has grown exponentially.




I thought it was going to die and now its the best performer I have. Faith is good. Gardening has taught me that. Faith is good but you can't be too proud to re-plant.

No comments: