Friday, September 21, 2012

Our First (week) Anniversary

I've had Rocket for a whole week! It feels like I waited forever for him to be here and now it feels like he's always been here.

Today I took him on the same walk I took Daisy on before she died. It was a bitter sweet moment when I realized we were in her footsteps. I intentionally didn't walk the tracks because it seemed wrong - wrong and Rocket isn't tall enough to walk over them. I last walked there in June and there has all ready been changes! The street parking isn't unlimited anymore and they are painting out one of the condemned  factory buildings. Its going to look terrific, I did notice that the yarn bombed building wasn't bombed anymore and they had removed the fortune cookie  fortunes from the wall. The transient nature of art I guess.

I took Rocket downtown so he could experience some new things, its important to introduce him to as many new things and people as possible while he's this age, today I introduced him to a Fountain and he wasn't sure what to think about it. I think he thought it was loud.

Tomorrow we're really going to get some new experiences. There is a dog fair at the fair grounds and Rocket is going to go and get chipped! There's going to be a lot of people and a lot of noise and a lot of dogs, its going to be an ideal environment for a young dog to learn about new things and add to his list of achievements and successes.

Among his successes - only three accidents in the house! Sleeping through the night five out of six nights! Learning how to navigate the back steps! Scaling the stairway to the second floor, both upstairs and down! Getting much better at being crated!

Not successful yet : Fetching, taking too long to potty, pulling a little on the leash, and not really being totally dedicated to coming when called off leash.

We've made progress and we have progress yet to make. Week 1 at home.

No comments: