Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Flower Power

I had every intention of getting at the very least my fireplace mantel decorated this evening. I had every intention of getting it done. I need to get it taken care of ASAP or I won't do it at all. I all ready decided that the Santa's are not going to wake up from their long winter nap this year either and now the really pretty, really fairly easy mantel might not get done either.

Why?


The seed catalogues have landed. One yesterday, two today.
 
 
Its really hard to get my Christmas on when 1) its 65 degrees and 2) Spring 2013 Home Garden Catalog!
 
Normally these things don't arrive until January, when I have hours to spend perusing the hot new tomatoe varieties and deciding what kind of  exotic flowers I think I can keep alive will kill through the summer, this year with only one catalogue featuring flowers, the contenders are :


 
Easter Egg Plant
 
They aren't edible and they only available in seed form, not my favorite because I don't have great luck with growing from seed. I'm a plant girl. However, how cool does the plant look?
 
 
Green Wizard
 
Again available in seeds only. I'm also definitely going to go with sunflowers. Lots and lots of sunflowers, hopefully really big varieties. I think they would love life next to the house and be pretty and feed the birds. I also see them in with the watermelon bed and along the back fence. Speaking of watermelons, the watermelons are going to be  oblong this year for a change of pace. There will also be no peas. The peas didn't produce like I would have expected and when they did produce, it was too little for too much effort, not a way to earn a repeat engagement in my garden.
 
Time has past and while I have spent a lot of time with my catalogues, and have my garden half in the ground my mantel is still undecorated. Pri-orities.


No comments: